I'm having a high level of bilirubin of 33 and I was told that normal level is 8-16. A month and a half I'm on strict diet, no meat, no fat, no sugar, only fish, vegetables, beans and nothing has changed. Still, the level of bilirubins is around 33. I'm 28 years old, I'm checking blood every 6 months, and this should not be one of the syndromes, since I haven't had this condition ever before. Any ideas? Doctors think I should not be at diet anymore.

Has your doctor checked your gallbladder and liver or gave you any medications? As I found out there are a lot of meds that can affect your bilirubin levels, including antibiotics, birth control, and anti-depressants. If your liver isn't working right (due to mono, hepatitis…) it can also affect your bilirubin levels. For example my mom's high level of bilirubins was caused by gallstones. A strict diet is just the first line of action, to eliminate anything that you are eating wrong.

Bilirubin is a breakdown product of hemoglobin, the predominant pigment in bile. There are two tests for bilirubin: direct-reacting or total (conjugated) and indirect-reacting (unconjugated). It depends which test has been done. Increased indirect or total bilirubin levels can indicate various anemias and transfusion reaction.
But, if total bilirubin levels in the newborn reach or exceed critical levels, exchange transfusion is necessary to avoid kernicterus, a condition that causes brain damage. Consult your doctor.

graciano, I prsume you are Itailan? Have you been checked for Thylisimia? I looks loke low blood counts and it allows your liver to store up iron. dbart

hi im 28 and my billiruban is at 74 H and what can i do to bring it down?

If there is nothing wrong with you to cause this high level, then the situation is actually a good one. Research on Google. High levels of Bilirubin reduces the risk of CVD, having the same positive effect as HDL.

Hi my brother is 23 yrs old and suffering from high bilirubin level that is 32 now he is in hospital can it causes brain damage?