My grandmother had pain in abdomen that lasts for month. She get bored of it and decided to visit the doctor. His diagnosis was she has gallstone disease. I can’t say I understood what he was talking about, because all I know that must be some stone in gallbladder. I would like to find out more and understand her disease.

Gallbladder is small pouch that sits on top of the liver where excess bile is stored. That is substance that our body uses to help digest fatty foods. Gallstone disease occurs when the bile in this gallbladder becomes over concentrated. This concentration of bile cause forming of stones or crystals in gallbladder or bile duct. A gallstone is predominantly of two types, first is cholesterol, 80% and second is calcium bilirubinate, 20%. When crystals are located in the bladder itself, this condition is called cholelithiasis and when are located in the bile ducts, this condition is called choledochocholithiasis. Symptoms might not occur at all, and if they occur, usually it is pain in right upper abdomen. If there is no symptom, treatment is no necessary, expect the patient is diabetic. Diabetics with gallstone disease usually need them removed because they are at risk for sudden, severe infections and perforations of the gallbladder wall. If she has symptoms of recurrent severe pain she needs to despite diet changes.