my girlfriend has genital herpes can i get it from giving her oral sex

hell yeah that's the 2nd biggest way that herpes spread!!! Although she may be dominant with the disease i would'nt risk it. I've heard of genital sheilds that goes over her vagina and around that area, so you could try that, i guess. I would talk w/ her and see how often she has outbreaks, b/c i know that i was dignosed w herpes at age 15 now 21 and only had 1 outbreak and that was the first really bad one!!! Im married and my hubby does'nt have it any YES we have a very good sex life including oral.
But like i said that's just b/c for some reason i've been blessed that the initial outbreak was the only one. Talk to her see how often she has outbreaks if often then just a girlfriend (not knowing how serious you'll are) i prob. would just stick with intercourse or the protective sheild thing!!
Hope i've hepled you :-D If you have any more questions just ask!! xoxo
P.S.- Use a rubber!!!