"If I kiss my husband and he has a cold sore, I then give him oral sex , can i get the genital herpes virus from him this way?" I have been told that the outbreak I have is genital warts. I have been married to the same man for 32 years. I had a indiscretion 20 years ago that he knows about. He says he has not been with anyone else since we have been married. Neither of us were virgins when we got married. I am confused as to how this was contracted, my doctor tells me I could have gotten it from a toilet seat but every thing I read says this is not possible. Please help!

Hello
I myself have beeen fighting STDS all my life and i do now that you can not get herpes from a tolet seat.
The STD is spread through sex,oral sex witch can cause blisters of the mouth,and can be carryed like lets sy you go to the bathroom and then do not wash your hands and the virus on your hands and touch your eye then you can have the herpes of the eye infection.
But just to be on the safe side cold sores are contagous and will be only on the inside of the mouth and yes they are apart of the herpes family any you mostly get them through kissing..lol
And also herpes is located on the outside of the mouth!!!!

GOOD LUCK

Both cold sores and Genital Herpes are caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus which is presently incurable. Traditionally Herpes Simplex Virus -1 resides in the upper body regions whild HSV-2 in the lower. Usually HSV-1 will remain latent in nerve cells around the neck or ears, while HSV-2 remains in the lower spine. When triggered by stress, sometimes weather, or a host of other reasons, HSV-1 will outbreak in the lips, inside or outside the mouth, or on the face or neck. HSV-2 will outbreak on the genitals. Dering an outbreak the virus appears as sores full of fluids. The sores will eventually burst open exposing the concentrated virus.

Typically kissing someone who has a cold sore will not infect you with the virus. This is not to say it can't happen. The greatest chances of catching either type of the virus is after the sore opens. If you kiss your husband while you have an open sore, then perfrom oral sex it is very possible to spead the virus to his mouth and/or genitals.

Presently health care workers are seeing more and more cases of HSV-1 in the genital area and HSV-2 on the face. The DNA of the two types are about 50% identical and can only be distinguished under a microscope and the symptoms of each are pretty much identical.

As far as how you contracted the virus: Its probably not from a toilet seat. DNA can only survive outside the body for short periods of time. Believe it or not, you were probably bron with it. It can be passed from mother to child during birth. around 75% of the U.S. population has at least one of the types of the virus, but most people only have one or two outbreaks during their lifetime. Obviously if you have a cold sore outbreak you have herpes, but don't worry. Again most people only have a couple of outbreaks and though it is possible to spead herpes without an outbrreak, it is unlikely.

The best thing to do would be go to your doctor who should perscribe you to Valtrex (or something of the like) to supress the outbreaks. It is a TREATMENT, not a CURE so you could possibly have another outbreak even if you are treating it. Most people on Valtrex never have another outbreak so it is very easy to live with.

If medication is not in your budget, since it is pretty expensive, you should avoid direct contact during outbreaks. This means no kissing, sexual contact, eating/drinking after one another. Typically outbreaks last 1-2 weeks and end after the scab has fallen off. After that, you are free to do as you please.

Just remember that the most likely time to spread the virus is during an outbreak and the most likely time during an outbreak is when the sore ruptures. The fluid that secretes from the sore is concentrated Herpes Simplex Virus so avoid it.

Hope this helps
-Dr. B