I have genital herpes. I hesitate to talk to my new girlfriend about it - I would very much like to have sex with her, but I’m afraid she’ll refuse because of my infection. What are the chances of spreading it to uninfected partner?

Although there is no 100% sure solution to this problem, it is known that numerous couples have sex for years without transmitting the virus. The best way to make sex safer is to avoid any kind of sexual contact during your outbreak of the symptoms. Avoid penetration since condoms cannot protect her - condoms protect only (from) the surface covered by them, so if you have sores on your buttocks or thighs they can easily be the culprits for the transmitting of the virus. Oral sex is also not advised since the virus can be transmitted in this way and manifested on your girlfriend’s lips or chin (genital herpes can cause sores on the face too). If you have sores on your mouth avoid kissing your girl. Basically, if there is a sore or a cut on her body, do not let it come in touch with your blisters. As I said, very often do the couples follow these instructions, use condoms while there is no outbreak of the symptoms and in this way they avoid transmitting. There are couples who even do not use the condoms, and, yet, the partner remains uninfected. Unfortunately, you can never be sure in these situations and you can infect the partner even if you are not going through the phase of outbreak of the symptoms at that particular moment. I suggest visiting doctor and consulting him on safer sex with herpes.