I have genital herpes and some things say that you cannot infect your partner if its inactive but others say you can. I just don't know what to believe and I'm too worried to have sex with anyone. Your help would be appreciated

Hi Guest,

According to the Centers for Disease Control, you can infect someone even if you are NOT showing any symptoms.

From http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes.htm

"HSV-1 and HSV-2 can be found in and released from the sores that the viruses cause. The viruses can also be released from skin that does not appear to have a sore. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an infected partner who does not have a visible sore and may not know that he or she is infected."

Use protection.

I have lived with genital herpes for the last 25 years, and my husband has NOT been infected. When I was younger, the outbreaks were more prevalent than they are now. I actually get outbreaks on my backside near my tailbone, so it is easy to avoid the area all together.

From what I've read, your most likely to infect a partner is at the very beginning of an outbreak, before a bump or blister even appears, so you have to be in tune to what the early symptoms of an outbreak are.

Be honest with your future sex partners. Tell them that you have herpes, do your homework so that you are informed and know the answers to their questions.

You can have a full sex life, just pay attention to your symptoms.