I have a girlfriend for almost six months, but we haven’t had sex yet. First we waited to get to know each other better and then she told me that she had genital herpes. Personally, I don’t mind that and I really love her and would like to have sex with her anyway. But she keeps refusing and asking me: “Would you risk herpes for love?”, and things similar to that. I don’t know if she is just trying to test my love or is that herpes really that dangerous. What do you think?

Your girlfriend has every right to hesitate about getting intimate with you - although there are couples who have been having sex for years without one partner infecting the other, it is very possible that your intercourse would eventually bring you herpes. If you are really sure you want to try (and I mean both of you - she must want that as much as you do, otherwise she’ll be too busy worrying about whether she’ll infect you or not and she won’t be able to relax and enjoy) you must take precautions. Avoid sex while she has outbreaks - this will make it more risky and it will also make the healing process longer. Try to use condoms - they are not 100% reliable protection, but they can drastically lessen the possibility of the virus transmitting. Avoid making contact between her lesions and your penis or any part of your body where you have sores, blisters, cuts or any other injuries. You must also know that she can sometimes experience the reoccurring of the virus but without visible symptoms. Try to establish a pattern of the occurrence of her symptoms and to make use of it. If she has cold sores - blisters on her mouth area, avoid oral sex since it can just worsen the situation.