I have a question concerning oral herpes. I’ve been diagnosed recently with oral herpes, and the probable culprit is giving oral sex without condom. It turned out that the guy had herpes, but genital herpes. How did I end up with oral herpes? We didn’t have sex, I mean there was no penetration, just oral sex.

Unfortunately, this is possible. The guy probably had genital herpes (HSV 2), and during the act of oral sex he transmitted the virus to you. You now also have genital herpes caused by HSV 2, but in its first outbreak it hit your face. If you experience the symptoms again (and some people never do - however, they are still carriers of the virus), it can be either on your face or on your genital area. You can also infect others and you will in that case transmit genital virus. So genital - oral sex combination can result in transmitting both types of the virus to both areas on your body which are mainly attacked by herpes. You must also know that condoms are not a 100% sure protection. The best thing to do is to avoid any kind of sexual activities during the outbreaks of the symptoms.

You can still get herpes without having intercourse. If You gave him oral sex without him wearing a condom and he had herpes that is how you got oral herpes.