Is it really possible to have herpes on face? I was diagnosed with genital herpes seven months ago and I had only two occurrences of the symptoms characteristic of genital herpes. My brother tells me that the sores he occasionally experiences on his face (mostly around his lips and nose) are actually the same kind of infection. Does this mean that I’ll also have those sores on my face in future?

Your brother is absolutely right when he says that you two have the same kind of infection. Both your and his blisters and sores are initiated by a specific kind of virus called the herpes simplex virus (HSV). The only difference is in places predominantly endangered by the virus. You are probably diagnosed with HSV 2 and it creates blisters and lesions around your penis or on it, and also on your buttocks or thighs. Your brother, on the other hand, most probably suffers from HSV 1, which attacks mainly facial area. Both oral and genital herpes can never be cured and the virus can easily attack any other part of your body if you are not careful enough. This means that you should not touch your sores because you can transmit the virus from your genital area to your face (even the eye infection is possible!). The same thing goes for your brother - he can easily get genital herpes if he contaminates his genital area with his hands after touching his facial lesions. Therefore, always wash your hands after getting any contact with problematic parts of your body.

Sorry, but you cannot get facial herpes if you have got genital herpes already. The genital herpes will prevent the facial herpes. What I am concerned about, is the possibility of the genital herpes(a different herpes virus) infecting the face as well. I think that's what the question here was.

I have been diagnosed with genital herpes and yes, the legion is on my face. It IS possible--I have been living with it for 15 years. Thankfully, my outbreaks have been few and far between.

You are totally right. I have genital herpes and once and now my outbreak are always all over my face and even as a blisters under my tongue what is really painful when it happens and in my throat as well but rarely only when I go to a lots of stress.