Hi. I would like to hear more of genital herpes, like what is it? How common is it? How can you get genital herpes? What are the symptoms of genital herpes? Is there a cure? How can it be prevented?

Hi. Genital herpes is a STD, caused by viruses HSV1 and HSV2. It is more common in women than in men. One out of five people have had genital HSV infection in the US. You can only get genital herpes during sex, or sexual contact, even if your partner has no visible sores. Within two weeks after the transmission, you may notice sores that will heal within a month. There is no cure, but meds can prevent outbreaks and reduce transmission. To prevent transmission avoid sex, or use condoms. However, condom can`t cover all infected areas.

I was with a girl for 13 months and we did not have sex or oral sex. We started dating in December '04 and after a while I started to notice bumps in my mouth, they did not hurt or did not have color. They were very much similar to if you bite you lip. Originally I thought they were just like when you start playing guitar and you developing stronger finger tips. When winter '05 came around though I noticed a white dot in my mouth that hurt when I touched it. I tried looking online and couldn't find much help. I asked her about it and she said they were just cold sores and she gets them too. I had never gotten them before and she told me it was weird that I didn't have them. We broke up shortly after and I have not had them since. I have fooled around with one girl since (August '06). Now it is January '07 and suddenly I have a white dot in my mouth that hurts again. Is it "just" a cold sore? Where do cold sores come from? Did I get it from my ex? Is it true cold sores are a type of herpes? Also, my ex and myself were both virgins at the time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated since I do not want to spread to others if it is herpes.