About 2 months ago my boyfriend was fingering me and accidentally scraped me a little bit. It was really small but it was just enough to make it bleed a little. There was no bump or anything, just a tiny cut and it went away in about 5 days. I had forgotten all about it until 4 or 5 days ago when I noticed a bump in that exact same spot. It hurt pretty bad and I had no idea what it was. I did some research on genital herpes and it said that you can get flu-like symptoms during your first outbreak. And that's exactly what I've been having the past week. I've had a fever and my glands have been super swollen. By now, I know this is genital herpes but now my question is, how did I get it? I know it sounds stupid because it has to be from that cut, but I'm just confused as to how that cut gave me genital herpes and why it took so long for me to get my first outbreak. Oh and there's no way I got it from having sex with him because we've only had sex once but we used a condom, and he's never gone down on me or anything. Also, is there anyway to get rid of this?

Genital herpes is caused by two viruses:

• Herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2)

• Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1)

Herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) causes most cases of genital herpes. HSV-2 can be spread through secretions from the mouth or genitals.

Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) most often causes herpes infections of the mouth and lips (commonly called cold sores or fever blisters). HSV-1 can spread from the mouth to the genitals during oral sex.

Herpes simplex virus (HSV) is spread from one person to another during sexual contact. You may be infected with herpes when your skin, vagina, penis, or mouth comes into contact with someone who already has herpes.

Herpes is most likely to be transmitted by contact with the skin of an infected person who has visible sores, blisters, or a rash (an active outbreak), but you can also catch herpes from an infected person's skin when they have NO visible sores present (and the person may not even know that he or she is infected), or from an infected persons mouth (saliva) or vaginal fluids.

Because the virus can be spread even when there are no symptoms or sores present, a sexual partner who has been infected with herpes in the past but has no active herpes sores can still pass the infection on to others.

Genital HSV-2 infections is more common in women (approximately 1 of every 4 women is infected) than it is in men (nearly 1 of every 8 men is infected).

Anonymous,

Have you been tested for herpes?

The virus can be detected in your blood.  If you haven't seen your doctor please do.

There is no way to get rid of the virus once you have it.

Yes I have been tested I had herphes my senior year was heart broken and now I am having out breaks