My son is recommended to perform uvulopalatopharyngoplasty, or UUUP. I am really afraid because of this operation, because I always think there is something which is going to gone wrong. Especially that I have heard of one boy who had really bad experience with UUUP. One week post-op, his stitches have not fallen out yet, and the stitches eventually dissolve and fall out on their own. I want to hear more about UUUP and how it gone wrong eventually could.

The common alternative to UPPP is LAUP or Laser Assisted Uvulopalatoplasty. In LAUP, the doctor hits the uvula and sides of the throat with a laser. It makes scars and tightens the tissue wherever the laser hits. LAUP is commonly done 3 - 5 times spread out over a few months time. Each time LAUP is reducing snoring more and more. LAUP is an extremely common anti-snoring procedure nowadays, and is much more common than UPPP because it is less invasive. Usually UUUP is more painful for the patient, and usually involve stitches or scalpels. That’s why maybe is better to perform LAUP, because there are less chances of things going wrong. The only disadvantage is that it might take a year and 5 treatments to achieve the same results as a single UPPP procedure. Maybe his doctor wants to achieve fast result, so they decided to perform UUUP, but they know what are they doing, probably there is no need to worry.