Hello! My neighbor has a five years old son. She told me yesterday that he was diagnosed glaucoma and she was really upset about it. There is no one in her or her husband family with history of glaucoma; they don’t even wear glasses. The fact that a five years old child has glaucoma was strange for me as well. I have heard about primary congenital glaucoma and I thought this was something which was usually discovered by the age of three. What are the consequences of having glaucoma at 5 years of age?

Hello! Childhood glaucoma is really rare. It is similar to open-angle glaucoma in adults. No symptoms are usually present in its early stage. When glaucoma develops within the first three years of life we call it primary congenital glaucoma. But, it doesn’t mean that children older than three can’t develop glaucoma. If glaucoma is left untreated it can lead to blindness. Glaucoma in children is caused by a genetically determined defect but it can come as a result of accidents or inflammations. Your neighbor will be informed by her ophthalmologist about the treatment which will be conducted.