This Saturday there's a 5k less than a mile from where I live. I wasn't really planning on doing it, but it would be nice to see where I stand. The thing is, I was planning on doing 4 miles tomorrow then a long run of 13 on Saturday to give me 44 miles for the week. I don't want to sacrifice the mileage because I'm really starting to build on it and need the momentum. Next week I'm planning for 48-49 miles. I was thinking that I'd be alright doing a 5k warmup on the course, then the 5k, then running 7 miles after the race. However, I'm not about to run a race and not give it everything I have. I'd expect somewhere in the high 18's. I don't want to get stuck not being able to do the 7 miles after the race (I've never run after a race before) and losing the mileage. I also don't want it to kill part of next week's mileage due to recovery. Sundays are complete off days for me, so I'd be able to get rest in then, and an easy 4-5 miles on Monday with a heavier weighted end to next week. Mentally and aerobically, I'm at 100% right now. Muscularly, I'd say 85-90% because of fatigue due to building mileage. My shins and ankles are a little sore mostly because of pounding on asphalt all week (it's been a wet week and I've had to log all my mileage on asphalt). Another thing to consider is that I've got a 5k in early April that I'll be really trying to do well in. The racing experience would be pretty valuable at this point because I haven't raced but once (half marathon) since last May. So I'm kinda torn between running it and just logging my normal mileage. What do you think?

from my personal experience....without a taper for a 5k....I expect about 30 seconds slower than my best 5k. I haven't tapered for a 5k in two years. Working in a 5k during my marathon build-up is WAY easier than a half. I've never had a problem running extra mileage after a 5k, although running an extra 7 after a half can be pretty tough without a scale down in mileage (I have bonked a few times attempting this).....5k and 10k not a problem. My 10k pr to date was following a 90 mile week, I didn't do any speedwork for 8 days, though.

5ks are a great excuse to get out of track work

I haven't added extra miles after a 5k before but given that it's short enough to recover quickly from (if you have done enough), it shouldn't be a problem provided that you intend to use those miles as recovery. I'll try this approach later this summer when my mileage increases. Like Sue, I don't usually taper for short distance races anymore (5k to 10k) unless it's a goal race that I want to do well in. I've done a 21 mile long run the day after a 6-7 km cross country race and I felt fine..