Hello! I have been diagnosed reactive hypoglycemia last year. I eat small meals every three hours and walk every day for half an hour. I have problems with my weight and I don't know what to do. My mother tells me I can't do any intensive exercise since it can influence my blood sugar to drop. Is it possible to lose weight when having reactive hypoglycemia?

Hello! Of course it is possible but it would be wise not do to it alone but to consult specialists. You need to talk to nutritionist who will create diet according your needs. You have to increase your daily physical activity, thirty minutes of walk isn't enough to lose weight. Check you physical condition first and find someone experienced who can help you with choosing of physical activity. When you star your meal it is wise to eat some proteins first and drink ant least 8 ounces of water with each meal. Eat slowly and chew thoughtfully.

I am a reactive hypoglycemic and I have been losing weight (40lbs), steadily for the last two years. I do not exercise for more than 20 minutes at a time, because my blood sugar drops too low. I also eat a snack before and after exercising. As well as a 20 min bike ride, I swim, and take Tae Kwon Do which is slow, controlled exercising that burns calories but doesn't result in a sugar crash.

I should note that I am an ovovegan (I am a vegan who eats eggs), so that makes it easier for me to make healthful food choices. This article might help on diet tips: reactivehypoglycemia.info/?p=84

Best of luck with losing weight!

After struggling for 2 years with exactly the same problem, I finally managed to find a solution. low-carb was the key. previous doctors and dietitan all told me that i can eat whole grain, so i had increased the daily amount of whole grain. my current doctor told me my body still thinks about them as sugar. it just can n ot process all that carb i was eating. he put me on metformin (500mg per day) and recommended to check south beach plan. even though i wasn't a big fan of any diet, i checked this and started applying main principles. i increased lean protein, limited carbs (especially when I am hungry). bingo!! I already lost 20 lbs. I was trying 10 times harder last year, and had gained so much in a year. All gone now in 4-5 months. I highly recommend you to try to lower your total cab intake.

How are you doing with your weight loss a year later? I have gained so much weight, stay hungry, eat protein- meat. I can't eat nuts b/c of diverticulitis. When I eat, I become sleepy. When I don't eat, I become sleepy. I can only walk about 30 minutes at a time, or I totally crash. I work out three times a week with free weights, no results as far as losing weight. I only gain.