Hi, I am intensively getting grey. Why do we become grey? is it because of stress? I know that genetics play a major role, but still some people can become grey early due to some stressful event.

Hair becomes grey when hair follicles stop producing melanin. Melanin is giving color to our hair. Eumalinin gives brown or black hair and pheomelanin is responsible for yellow or red hair. Pigment cells that are determined by genes produce a certain sort of melanin. As we age, the pigment cells at the base of our hair follicles stop with production of melanin, so hair is depegmented and becomes grey. There is not much you can do to retard the onset of gray hair. The process goes on for many years. There is a disease that gives the appearance of going gray overnight. The disease causes all of pigmented hair to fall out and only gray hairs are left on the head.