Recently I have noticed a lump on my neck. I am a bit worried because this lump was not here before. I have been exposed to sun a lot this year so I am worried that this cloud be skin cancer. Can someone explain to me how does skin cancer occur? Thanks

I can't tell you if that lump is a cancer because you need to go to get that lump examined. It is the only way to be sure. Most skin cancers are classified as nonmelanomas that usually occur in basal or squamous cells. These cells are located at the base of the outer layer of the skin. Also they cover the internal and external surfaces of the body. Most nonmelanoma skin cancers develop on sun-exposed areas of the body, like the face, ear, neck, lips, and the backs of the hands and depending on the type, they can be fast or slow growing. They rarely spread to other parts of the body. Melanoma is a cancer that begins in the melanocytes. Melanocytes are the cells that produce the skin coloring or pigment known as melanin. Melanin gives our skin a color and helps protect the deeper layers of the skin from the harmful effects of the sun. Melanoma is the far more dangerous than other skin cancers, even though it accounts for only small percentage of skin cancer. It causes the majority of skin cancer deaths but if it is detected early than it can be cured. Risk factors for skin cancers, nonmelanoma and melanoma, include unprotected exposure to UV radiation, fair complexion, severe sunburn as a child, family history etc.