For a year now Dr.s have been struggling with my odd case of dicoloring hands! throughout the day my hands turn gray typically on the top, but at times occurs both on top and bottom of my hands. When the discoloration occurs, my knuckles turn almost black! Everyone gets freaked out about it because it is so odd most commonly they say "they look like a dead persons hands" it is as if my hands lose all circulation yet they are not numb, there is not tingling sensation at the time of the discoloration and no pain. It happens daily sometimes multiple times a day, and varies in time such as it could last anywhere from a minuet to the whole day! It does not matter whether I am cold, hot, active, inactive, it happens out of no where! someone please give me an answer!!!

Sorry I don't have the answer but I think I have the same thing as you or something similar. My doctor says that I am super sensitive to the cold she gave me an inhaler and told me to wear gloves. This has not really helped. As you may have already guessed I also have some other issue with this when my hands are gray my chest feels heavy and sometimes it is hard to breathe. I have not idea what this is but I doubt that is just sensitivity to cold. I don't know if you have tried this but I have found that soaking my hands in hot water does help with the color but it doesn't always last long. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

wow I am almost relieved to see other people have similar symptoms. I took have this problem with my hands turning dark gray sometimes. My doctor said she just didn't know... and sent me to a dermatologist.... I do not think it is a skin problem though since the color seems to come from under the skin... I have anemia... does this affect anyone else?

This happened to me today for the very first time. I was in a restaurant with my Mom and we both freaked out! It looked like I had the hands of a dead person. It lasted for about an hour. I was only slightly cold in the restaurant, nothing too bad at all. The didn't feel any different, just looked terrible! I have had a history of low Iron before and I'm kind of thinking it is related to this. Any further advice would be great!

i have the same problem. its my left hand and it happened so randomly today at work. my coworker noticed it. its faint but you can see the gray. looks like the same color as my veins. if anyone knows what this is please let me know.

the same thing happened to me today. if anyone knows what this is please let me know. my coworker noticed it and its freaking me out.

I have also had the same symptom my left hand or both hands turn gray. Typically lasts 24-48 hours and happens 1-2 times/week. It's always random and it not set off by anything. It doesn't matter if I'm hot or cold. It's been going on for 1 month and I've seen a couple doctors and a cardiologist and they all say they've never seen it before. They've tested my thyroid and everything is normal. This Friday I'm going to see an internal medicine doctor and hopefully he will know something or has seen it before. Everyone I've been to has never seen it before. It doesn't matter if I run my hands under hot water there is no change. Other symptoms I've noticed is that I'm lightheaded quite frequently, I had one breathing "attack" where I couldn't feel like I could breathe and sometimes my lips feel tingly.

I've had the same problem in my left hand. It is definately NOT related to hot/cold. I have seen a Rheumetologist, Endocrinologist, family doc and a Neurosurgeon. I have had the same response. They have never heard of such a thing. 8-|
My history is Hoshimotos thyroiditis, thyroid cancer, disks C5, C6, and C7 ruptured and my spinal cord fluid drained from the area of the ruptures. I have severe nerve damage on the left side (Shoulder, arm and thumb, pointer and middle finger)
I am anemic. I am taking pain meds for my back (Fentanyl, Oxycodone and muscle relaxers and synthroid)

I thought maybe if I shared some of my personal info someone else might make the connection. It is embarassing when my hand turns gray. It looks dead! I can't exlain it! People are skeeved at it! I am a teacher and my poor students get grossed out. :-)

If anyone has any answers, I am open to suggestions! If something weird could happen, it sure happens to me!!!

This is just an update since the last time I posted. The internal medicine doctor thought it was Raynaud's (which a couple other doctors thought at first too) but then none of the symptoms really line up with Raynaud's other than hands changing colors. After many blood tests that all came back normal he's not sure what to do next. If things change or other symptoms start I will go back in to see him and if I have an episode he wants me to go and show him at his office (he's only seen pictures). I'm not sure where to go from here. I want to find out what's going on but it's getting expensive to keep going from doctor to doctor. If anyone has any luck let us know!

I have noticed a couple of people have mentioned having anemia and I also have low iron. I wonder if this is related to that but who knows, I guess I'm not the doctor!

I posted 12/15/09 and 1/8/10 and I'm not sure if you can post pictures but I'm going to try. One a scale of 1-10 this is probably a 5 on how dark my hand(s) get.

Photobucket

I am disheartend by these post. I have been having the samething happen for a few months now. My arm aches when it happens but no pain. The doctors made me walk the halls today to show them. They freaked out. They said they had never seen anything like this. They thought they were turning purple and i kept telling them no gray then black. They just couldnt believe it. They are going to start testing next week. I dont have any insurance right now so after reading these post im thinking will it do any good to do testing? Will they find anything? It is really scary when it happens and people around you freak! I noticed some of the people that posted have thyroid problems. So do I. I have graves diease. I also have atrial fib and have been on coumidin for 15 years. Does anyone else posting take coumadin? And they told me it was from the cold also at first but i proved to them it has nothing to do with it today! If anyone finds an answer please let me know. I cant afford all the testing!

I saw my daughters hands do this for the first time. THEY WERE GRAY! She takes none of the medicine that you are taking. I myself have Graves Disease and have never had this happen. So I don't believe this to be related to the thyroid. Keep in touch.

hey! i've been having the same problem too! it's something that has been happening recently. I was out at a restaurant with my friend and they just got really gray all of sudden. it was definitely under the skin and the top of my skin looked almost shiny or something. it's hard to describe...when i was little i had a problem with low iron and i saw that was something that a lot of people mentioned in this post. it's been scaring my though cause i don't know what it is. i'm glad to find that i'm not the only one though! :-)

I have precisely the same ting (or it look the as the same thing) . My doctor had an idea can't remeber what it was called but it is where the blod pools back in your skin. It is not dangerous - but are going for an massive test just to be sure next week. If you get any info i would like to hear (just post here on this forum) .

I'm researching this for my 23 yr old daughter. Her hands look like the picture posted. Vasospasm could be the cause brought on by a myriad of things. Emotional stress and some medications could be the culprit. Primary, not "secondary" Raynaud's seems to matchup the most. Still researching. Vasospasm makes the most sense since the hands return to normal color.