Hi, I have a serious problem and it is bothering me very much. I am in my early thirties. You see, my hair is turning gray. I have no idea what is causing this. There was never anything serious going on with my health. Can you explain to me what is causing this condition to occur? I would also like to know if there is something that I can do to prevent it.

Hi, I understand your concerns. I also went trough this kind of trouble. Since I am older than you, I got used to it. Our hair gets its color from pigment cells located in its root. The pigment is called melanin and the cells melanocytes. They are programmed to extract certain amount of pigment according to your age. Gray hair means that small quantities of pigment are present and the white one has no pigments at all. It is normal to have gray hair while you are aging. However, not all hairs act in the same way. Therefore, this process is gradual. Usually graying starts in sixties but can also happen in thirties. There is nothing that you can do about it. As for the cause; some scientists believe that genetics play a part in it. If you are desperate, you can always dye your hair.