Few days ago I met one girl who has albinism. I feel very stupid because I didn’t know anything about albinism. My mum told me that albinism is characterized by a lack of pigment that normally gives color to the skin, eyes, and hair and that it’s very rare. I really want to know how common is albinism?

Yes, it's very rare disorder. I read from one book that albinism is a rare disorder found in fewer than five people per 100,000 in the United States and Europe. Other parts of the world have a much higher rate; for example, albinism is found in about 20 out of every 100,000 people in southern Nigeria.

I'M A 40 YEAR OLD ALBINO. I WOULD BE OPEN 4 DISCUSION FROM OTHER ALBINO'S AND MEDICAL PROFESIONALS ON THE TOPIC OF ALBINISM. I AM EXPERIENCING SOME NEW THINGS THAT I NEVER HAVE BEFORE. SUCH AS PIGMENTED HAIR ON MY LEGS,ARMS AND HEAD. I AM NO LONGER LEGALLY BLIND AS OF THE AGE OF 25. MY EYE COLOR IS A BLUE VIOLET COLOR. I WANT 2 KNOW IF THESE ARE ALL NORMAL OCCURAANCES IN ALBINOS OF MY AGE? I CURRENTLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TYPE OF ALBINISM I HAVE BUT I SOON HOPE 2 FIND OUT.

Hi Gennifer. I am also an albino. I have gray blue eyes, no skin pigment. The hair on my head got darker with age but my eye lashes, eye brows and other body hair did not. I am also 40. My vision is not good, but has seemed to improve over time. I'd like to talk :)