Hi. I had an ankle injury. I was told most ankle sprains heal with no problem. Is that true? What can I do at home to improve my condition?

Hi. Yeas, most ankle injuries heal with no problem and with no complications. Surgery is a rare option. Surgery is only needed if your ligaments are torn. All you can do at home is to reduce the pain and fasten the healing process. Most of the pain is caused by inflammation, so you have to reduce inflammation. The best you can do is to apply ice on your ankle. This is more effective than meds. Ice will reduce the swelling and warmth and it will counteract the increased blood flow to your injured ankle. Never apply ice directly to your skin. Put a towel between and apply ice for some 20 minutes, every 20 minutes. Take a rest. Compression wraps are not really effective.