had surgery on my right ankle over a year ago and it still bthers me. Something is also clicking in my foot. My knee also bothers me especially when I am standing or kneeling for some time. I injured it when I accidently kicked the ball over the fence and then climbed the 5 foot fence (a little over my height), and then twisted my body around to avoid my neighbor's garden and landed awkwardly in a hole. I fell and heard a huge pop. My ankle never healed as I had fractured it, also torn ligaments and damaged one of my tendons. This is why I needed surgery because it never healed properly. But it stil bothers me over one year after surgery. Could my knee also have been injured from that twisting I did? Do you think there is still something wrong in my ankle after that surgery?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Cassie

Hi Cassie: Surgery isn't always the cure all that everyone thinks it should be. When you have a MAJOR injury to any joint on your body - in particular something as important as your feet, which takes tonnes of pressure everyday. It can take a LONG time too heal! There can be scar tissue as well. Correct foot alignment is key for your knee to work well. When your feet are "off" so is your knee. So even though you probably hurt your knee at the time - which I'm sure they would have xrayed - this pain is probably happening from your foot not working like it should.

Now when you say it's bothering you, do you mean the clicking - which is scar tissue by the way - or pain? If it is pain, you need to go back to the surgeon, there should be virutally no pain - even though they might not have totally fixed the injury. The clicking might continue for a long time, I was told by several surgeons its the scar tissue that breaks apart! I can't get over that actually I keep thinking "Where does it go?!!!" So that is for you too think about too. But like I said if you are in pain or it swells you need to go to the doctor! Hope this helps you. Good luck and health

I saw my ankle surgeon a couple of weeks ago and I had just found out that I have a bone spur on the top of my right foot (the same foot and ankle that I had surgery on in April 2008). He told me to do some ankle exercises to relieve some of the pain. He didn't do anything with the bone spur yet. I go see him again October 15. My question is: Will the ankle exercises help the bone spur disappear or will I need to get surgery to remove the bone spur?

What if I don't get surgery on it for a while, does the bone spur go away on its own? Is surgery the only option or is there anything else that can be done for it? I still have pain and the bone spur has been there for a while.

Cassie

Hi Cassie: Bone Spurs are VERY common, some people get them on the heels of their feet, IF exercise and stretching doesn't relieve it, they will excise it for you! The best thing is to try and get the inflamation down 1st. So do as he says and exercise it, and elevate it too and switch between soaking your foot in VERY warm water and COLD water - 2 bowls - this helps with inflammation! Good luck honey and please let me know how you make out! And write down any questions you have so you don't forget!

Is surgery the only option to get rid of the bone spur or is there anything else that can be done for it? I know doing some exercises may help it a little but it won't make it disappear. I still have pain and the bone spur has been there for a while.

Cassie

Hi Cassie! Yes, unfortunately, you would need to get surgery. I know it's a pain but it is a fast surgery as far as I have heard. Would you consider that option?