I hurt my ankle two weeks ago while jogging. I did not twist it, so far as I can tell. I was just running along, feeling good, and then suddenly my ankle began to hurt. A lot. The pain started right above my ankle bone, done through the ankle bone, and radiated down to the side of my foot. It hurts the most when I put any sort of weight on it, although it continues to ache and feel sore even with no pressure on it.

I gave it a week to see if it got better and then went to an orthopedist a week ago. He took X-rays, and said he couldn't see anything (no fractures), but that a stress fracture wouldn't show up until it started healing. He gave me a big black boot thing to wear, which I've been wearing every day.

The problem: the ankle doesn't really seem to be getting any better. It still hurts quite a lot. I have an appt. to see the orthopedist again next week, but I'm curious -- what do people think the problem could be? I would think that if it was just sore tendons or something, I would be feeling at least slightly better after two weeks. Could this be a stress fracture? And how does one do that while just jogging?

If the ankle is sprained it is not rare for it to not heal instantly, this is usually because you've sprained the ligament on the outer side that holds the joint together. It is not likely either that your ankle will heal quickly in the future, but I wouldn't worry to much as it should heal eventually.

Hope the ankle does heal. :)

-Mippy100

If a fracture is not showing up, then maybe it s a sprain. If your ankle twists, rolls, or turns beyond it s normal range of motion, it can cause a sprain. like these require you to rest a lot. Wrapping the ankle with bandage, keeping it elevated, and applying ice packs to it may also help. If the sprain is severe, you may be advised physical therapy or surgery.

If a fracture is not showing up, then maybe it s a sprain. If your ankle twists, rolls, or turns beyond it s normal range of motion, it can cause a sprain. Ankle injuries like these require you to rest a lot. Wrapping the ankle with bandage, keeping it elevated, and applying ice packs to it may also help. If the sprain is severe, you may be advised physical therapy or surgery.