Have you ever used these for an injury? My doctor recommended two tubs of water, one ice cold, the other hot and to put my foot in the ice water for 3 minutes, the heat for 1 minute and repeat 3-4 times, but making sure to begin and end in the ice water. My mom swears by it for her PF. Anyone tried this?

I have done ice baths after marathons and it makes a big difference.

not that ice/heat thing though.

I had to do those for sprained ankles. I'm glad to see someone else has heard of it. I thought my coach was torturing me for getting injured.

I did this and it really did help my PF. I still do it if my feet are sore. I just did the ice path for 5 minutes and then the hot water for a while. It was explained to me that the ice bath will reduce the swelling and inflammation and the hot water will increase blood flow to the area helping to heal.

Yeah, thats how my doctor describe it to me as well. I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Did anyone else find it excruciatingly painful? Maybe I had my cold and hot too cold and hot? It was pretty rough 8O but I think it may have helped...

Yes. When I worked in the training room in HS they did that all the time with injuries. I think it has to do with constricting/opening up the blood vessels, etc. to squeeze fluids out of the area...especially if it's swollen. I know this is what we did all the time for sprains anyway.
Then use the typicical RICE Rule as well (rest, ice, compress, elevate).

Painful? the cold or the hot? I couldn't do ice I just did as cold as I could handle. some people use cold water and add ice to bring the temp down slowly. The hot wasn't too bad for me...