I had experienced ankle injuries, the most common injuries, because I had many problems with the same. My doctor said it is common problem. Since I have problems with calcaneofibular ligament injury, I would like to know more about this topic. Could anyone give me info about my problem?

Ankle injuries are a major cause of time loss from work or other daily activities, so this is representing big problem for our society. Ankle injuries constitute up to 25% of all time-loss injuries from running and jumping sports, as I believe was your case. An inversion sprain is the most common cause, results in an injury to the lateral ligaments. One of which is the calcaneofibular ligament or CFL. This ligament extends from the distal anterior margin of the lateral malleolus to insert on the posterior lateral tubercle, placed at the lateral wall of the calcaneus. The calcaneofibular ligament lies deep to the peroneal tendons, and is cylindrical in shape. Since it crosses two joints, it acts as a subtalar joint stabilizer. In the same time, this ligament is in a lax position, except in the extremes of inversion. With an inverted ankle, strain on the calcaneofibular ligament is highest in dorsiflexion, which is why when the ankle is dorsiflexed or in a neutral position, this ligament is the lateral ligament most often injured in inversion sprains. Midsubstance rupture of the calcaneofibular ligament remains the most common injury pattern.