My right foot started hurting for no reason a few weeks ago.

I was walking round a supermarket and suddenly had a terrible pain in the inner side of my foot.

since then it has swollen up, following the pain.

I get sort of tearing ripping sensations which are excruciating and then they fade away leaving the place feeling sore.

This happens at any time of the day whether I am standing or sitting.

What can it be?

My daughter wonders if it is tendon trouble.

My gp is rubbish and says its my age.

I'm 69.

Your GP may be correct. As you age your feet become more susceptible to injury. However, he is wrong for dismissing your pain and for not trying to treat your injury. Find a different doctor if at all possible. Now for some information on your injury.

The plantar fascia is a tough fibrous sheath that extends the length of the bottom of the foot and lends support to the arch. When the plantar fascia is damaged it may become a source of foot arch pain.

Under normal circumstances, your plantar fascia acts like a shock-absorbing bowstring, supporting the arch in your foot. But, if tension on that bowstring becomes too great, it can create small tears in the fascia. Repetitive stretching and tearing can cause the fascia to become irritated or inflamed.

Each foot contains 24 bones, which form two arches. The arch runs the length of the foot, and the short part of the arch runs the width. The bones of the arch are primarily held together by the way they fit with each other and by fibrous tissues known as ligaments that serve to hold the bones to each other. The muscles of the foot, along with the plantar fascia, provide secondary support to the foot. There are also fat pads in the foot to help with weight-bearing and absorbing impact. Arch pain can occur whenever something goes wrong with the function or interaction of any of these structures.

There can be many causes of foot arch pain. Direct force trauma, ligament sprains, muscle strains, poor biomechanical alignment, stress fractures, overuse, or the tightness or lack of tightness of the joints in the foot may all cause pain in the arch.

Injury to the plantar fascia is a common cause of foot arch pain. When the plantar fascia is damaged, the resulting inflammatory response may become a source of foot arch pain.

Foot Arch pain may have a variety of causes. Proper evaluation and diagnosis of arch pain is essential in planning treatment. A good general guideline is to compare the injured side to the uninjured side. Injury may present itself as a distinguishable lump, a gap felt at that location, or a “crunchy” feeling on that spot caused by inflammation. The type, causes, and severity of pain are also good indicators of the severity of the injury.

When you first begin to notice discomfort or pain in the area, you can treat yourself with rest, ice, compression, and elevation (RICE). Over-the-counter medications may also be used to reduce discomfort and pain.

Rest will allow the tissues to heal themselves by preventing any further stress to the affected area.

Ice should be applied no longer than 20 minutes. The ice may be put in a plastic bag or wrapped in a towel. Commercial ice packs are not recommended because they are usually too cold. Compression and elevation will help prevent any swelling of the affected tissues.