I like to run, and to be honest sometimes I like to overdo the things. I had sprained my ankle. It hurt a lot. It is getting better now but I am anxious to start racing again. My doctor doesnt allow me to do so and says that it is too early for that. Should I listen to him? Is this happening only to overzealous and impatient runners?

When you sprain your ankle, the damage to tendons, ligaments, and connective tissues are not the only ones. The electrical connection in your foot that tells your brain the position of your foot in relation to your body is also compromised at best. To treat your sore ankle it takes more than just strengthening. It has to be re-calibrated with your brain. If your sore ankle is telling your brain that it is flat when in actuality it is at an angle you can injure your ankle again and this time it will be more severe than the last time. Your balance is endangered too. There is a thing called wobble board. It has been recommended by many doctors as the best way to re-connect the sensor in your foot with your brain. The wobble board can help you improve your balance and re-calibrate the sensor in your foot with your brain. Your brain will always know the correct location of your foot in relation to your body. Otherwise you can continue to have recurring ankle sprains and each one of them more severe than the previous one.