Hi, I am a 65 year old. I am a pensioner and I also take charge of children while the parents are at work. Now I am about to get a boy whit injury. His mother told me that he was in need for special care, because he has 2nd degree ankle sprain. I am in doubt, should I take this kid or not? What kind of care does he need? Can I do that?

Hi, I am physiatrist. Ankle sprain is twisting injury to the ankle. Ankle sprains are divided in types, concerning the seriousness of injuries. Sec. type involves disruption of the ligaments. There for you may expect, child with pain in ankle, large swelling and blue coloration of it. The recovery period is very long and he would need a special care. He may have the immobilization and elastic bandage to prevent swelling. He supposes to rest and avoid all kind of activities, to elevate his leg (leg above heart level). Also he would be needed ice to be put on his ankle 15-20 minutes, 3-5 time/day, for three days. If you think that you are able to nurse kid with all this, you should take him.