While I know everyone has a different experience recovering from a tonsillectomy, it seems that a lot of the postings on here are from folks who have had pretty painful recoveries.

A bit about me. I'm 34, almost 35, male. I was getting strep a few times a year so my doctor suggested I get my tonsils removed. I work out regularly and consider myself pretty healthy - I think that can effect recovery. I'm on day 3 of my recovery. I've been drinking lots of fluids. I threw up a bit from the anesthesia a few hours after the surgery but haven't since. I've been eating soft foods - apple sauce, jello, mashed potatoes, from day 1. Today I've had jello, mac and cheese, cream of wheat, Lipton soup, mashed potatoes.

I'm taking a liquid antibiotic and Loritab exliar for pain. That helps quite a bit.

The pain has been about a 2-3 out of 10 since day one. Swallowing feels like I have a sore throat. Not too bad though. When I sleep I make it about two hours before getting up to drink and go to the bathroom. I have an intense humidifier running near me at all times.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with my recovery. The postings on this website scared me quite a bit. While I don't think folks exaggerate, just keep in mind that everyone will have a different recovery experience.

Here's to a speedy recovery! I'll post more if things change. :-D

It's good to hear from a satisfied patient.
I think negative posts about anything are the norm so it can be very misleading.
Angry people are motivated to say something about it.
As Calvin says: "Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around".
I think to most people, if you didn't have a problem, there's nothing to talk about.

Hey. I am the original poster. Just wanted to post another update. It's day 8 now and it still hasn't gotten too bad. Swallowing isn't necessarily fun, but it's not the end of the world. The worst it's felt is like having mild strep without the fever and body aches. Around day 6 i started to scale back the Loritab. The last day and a half I've only been taking liquid Tylenol sporadically - the hydrocodone in the Loritab was giving me crazy dreams and bad constipation. Night times aren't great, but I keep the humidifier going and water near my bed. Swallowing water at nights hurts some, but I just do it. I've gone for two walks around my neighborhood and plan to go to work tomorrow.

Hang in there folks!