As a professional singer, I was very skeptical about having this procedure done because I couldn't risk damage to my vocal chords. AFter being comforted by my ENT that there is no way for damage to my chords, I decided to go through with it. I have been getting strep about 4 times a year for the past 2 years, so it was time to get them out! I very rarely got strep throat as a child, but when I started working with kids as a music teacher at age 22 (I'm 25 now) it became MUCH more frequent.

I only just had my surgery yesterday morning (3/24/2009) at 8:15AM and it took until about 5 PM to feel any type of pain. I instantly came home around noon and took my prescribed anti-biotic and tylenol with codeine so that helped a bit.

The worst part about how I felt was how swollen my tongue and uvula were. They were both about 3 times the normal size, and honestly, they still are and I'm not on day 2. It's almost as if I got my tongue pierced b/c it's so swollen. I had put ice packs on my throat for numerous hours spaced out throughout the afternoon and also ate iced gatorade for electrolytes as well as orange ice pops. It was much easier to talk after eating something very cold, but otherwise, talking could be quite uncomfortable. It wasn't painful, but the amount of swelling made it difficult.

Every time I woke up from a nap I made sure that I hydrated myself with gatorade or an ice pop. I'm wondering if I don't have much pain now because I have been so hydrated or because it's still on its way, but only time will tell. I woke up about 3 times in the middle of the night and kept drinking every time I did. Because there is no food in my system I am urinating quite frequently, but today I want to actually increase the amount of liquid intake. i think I might live by the toilet!

The one piece of advice I can give anyone right now is about swallowing your own saliva. I don't know if this is the same with everyone, but my saliva is quite thick and sticky right now which makes it difficult to swallow. Even with drinking something else and swallowing it won't go down my throat. DON'T TRY TO FORCE IT DOWN! Your best bet is to just spit it out and then go drink something.

I haven't had any ear pain yet, but I know that's coming. I can't tell if I'm scabbing over yet, but I think it's more my uvula I feel on my tongue more than anything else (I told you it was swollen!). I am actually getting more migraines than anything else so I might call my doctor about that.

I will try to update you all daily, especially about my singing and just my symptoms in general. I wish you all luck in your own recovery!

Well, I don't really have much to report for today. Yesterday, day 2 of recovery, still was not bad at all. I was wondering where all of the pain was that people had been talking about, but I guess I'm just lucky. I'm still taking my pain meds religiously, but more because my tongue and jaw hurt more than my throat. I was able to eat some mashed potatoes yesterday and drank a LOT more than I did on day one.

Today, on day three, my jaw and tongue pain is even worse. My codeine is helping a bit, but I think my body is getting used to the meds too much. I was able to eat some pastina (little start shaped pasta) cooked in chicken broth today, but I'm paying for it right now because the throat muscles were used too much. I'm in a lot of pain right now from that, but I'm due for another dose of meds in 30 minutes.

My only concern right now is how numb my tongue is! I know it's still swollen, but i literally can't feel a darn thing on either side of my tongue. I'm hoping this alleviates in a day or two because it makes it even more difficult to swallow. I'm embarrassed to say that I even woke up from a nap this afternoon with drool on my pillow!

Other than that, things are good. I've heard a lot of horror stories, but as you can see, this is not one of them. Good luck!

hey there, we had tonsillectomy around the same time :-)
i had my surgery on the 23rd of March 2009
this is my 7th day and it's been very painful
how are you doing now??