This post is an extension of the
Post Tonsillectomy Pain thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I had my tonsils and adenoids removed on 11/11/08. Before the procedure they gave me demerol, valium and phenergan (that is an anti-emetic/nausea medication). After the surgery I felt a hard thing in my mouth only to learn I was in Pacu and still had the Endotracheal tube in my mouth which was being removed. After that, I had urges to cough, but knew not to because I could start bleeding. I spit up a lot of mucus and blood clots while in PACU. My vitals remained stable. I was just in a lot of pain so they gave me 50 of Demerol and 15 mg of Morphine.....surprisingly my respirations did nt decrease and neither did my O2 saturation. I was able to drink about 4 oz of apple juice. After that I was sent home. While I home last night I took anti-nauzsa medication (zofran) waited a little bit before I took the percocet. I threw up 3x pure blood some bright on other occassions it was dark. I attributed this to the fact that i could have been swallowing it from the procedure and post op. After that I threw up 4 more times (the juice and water I had been drinking). Despite all of that, I took another anti-nausea pill and placed a large bag of ice onto my neck which helped. Whenever I have the desire to spit up I hold cold water in my mouth a few seconds to relueve any bleeding (I know I am having some bleeding because I can taste it).

Today is post op day #1 and I slept on/off last night. Have not had pain meds yet because I was going to be brave and eat breakfast. I did not want to take the pain meds and then vomit. I had soft scramble eggs and some water and so far have tolerated it. My tongue and mouth are very swollen still, but I need to be active if I expect to recover. The more you dwell on what is wrong blocks what you can do to make it feel better. My issues right now are the vomiting and pain. I have white scabs at the back of my throat and my uvula as well. I can almost feel everything just laying low and sinking into my throat. I am sure many can relate. Well, hopefully you all have speedy recoveries. All my best!

Today is Post op day #6.... still feeling nauseous on occassion. I have been able to eat scrambled eggs, mashed potato, mac n cheese, ice pops and water (not all in the same day or I might consider myself a saint). I only eat one or 1/4 of those items in a day. I cannot eat all of that in one day or I would get sick. I have come to the conclusion that it is going to hurt swallowing regardless, but I have to put something in the engine or I will never get better. In addition, an empty stomach and medication are a bad mix. I make sure to chew the food so much that it is practically puree food lol (hey it helps). I take sips of water on occassion, some days more than others. My ears have been hurting me (A LOT) and I know that was to be expected. I have also been getting a lot of headaches possibly related to the pressure in my ears and the use of pain medication (??? this is speculation but possible). My ears hurting me tends to occur more toward the later part of the day. My throat still hurts and now I have a lot of mucus I have been expectorating mixed with blood clots. My voice is not back to normal and I almost sound like a deaf person who has been trained to speak. Tongue and mouth still swollen and I have those wonderful (smelly) scabs. I have been mixing peroxide with 1/2 the amount of water and holding it in my mouth for a few seconds and spitting it out. My doctor recommended that to me and it has helped. I hope everyone else is on their way to recovery. Pain medication seems to just let me sleep for 3 hours at a time and then I wake up. The pain never really goes away, but it takes the edge off for a nap. Placing ice bags to my neck has helped. OOO!! I have also had low grade fever (99.5-100) recently and was told that was to be expected. The only good thing about this is that I lost 10 lbs (lol hopefully they stay off)Good Luck.

I had my tonsils taken out 4 days ago because of chronic tonsillitis. I would never have done this if I new it was going to be this bad. I can barely swallow and feel sick to my stomach on day 4. I had to stay in the hospital for the first 4 days because the swelling was so bad I couldnt even swallow saliva. The doctor said right after the surgery to go home and eat what I could. I think that is what caused me to become so swollen. I am in agony and do not recommend this to any one unless it is def. necessary!!! The ear pain in almost just as unbearable as the pain in my throat.

So i had my tonsills removed on may 21, 2009. that day i was ok, had morphine at the hospital, so was still in pain but nothing too bad, was given percocet for the first 2 days of pain then T3's. I didn't find the percocet helped with pain, but made me sleepy enough i could sleep through it. Always woke up with a super sore throat though. Day 3 was the absolute worst for pain for me. I only drank water for the firt 6 days, then cold started to hurt so i ended up drink tea. day 8 was finally able to eat some rice and chicken broth. Found the t3's didn't work at all, saw a dr and got a trial pain killer, that i ended up allergic to, so took t4's they helped a bit. I am now 2.5 weeks, my jaw still hurts, my teeth hurt, i'm ready to cry every time i yawn, i take 3 extra strength tylanol and 2 extra strength advil liquid gells every 4 hours, helps a bit with the pain so i can eat soft foods, but it's still there. scabs are still there, my ears still hurt, half my tounge is numb, and i'm still talking funny. it sometimes even hurts to talk. I haven't had any bleeding though, so that's good, just lots of pain. I really wish currently i never had this done! this is not something you want done unless you have to, i'm 21, and a female. I kep getting strep, but honestly strep hurts ways less then this. I am always tired, and i have to drink things that are room temperature otherwise it hurts, anyting thick or super sweet really hurts. Although i can still taste, my sence of smell is not as strong, and my nose just randomly starts dripping sometimes.

I had my tonsils removed 7/2/09 and I am currently hating my life! I noticed some scabs were starting to come off yesterday, but I know that the area in which my tonsils used to be is still very very white....i'm guessing that means I have a ways to go. I have been alternating tylenol and motrin every 2 hours for the pain. It's hardly working. I was originally given vicodon, but it was making me so sick that I was forced to stop taking it. I'm trying my best to eat and drink as much as I can, but I have not been as successful as I was the first few days. NOTHING is going down well. I'm 23 years old and I am supposed to be moving to a different city in one week from today. For those of you who have had this done before, do you think that is going to be possible? Right now that thought overwhelms me. If I would have known what I was getting myself into there is no way I would have signed up for this. Frequent sore throats suck, but they have not been comparable to the pain this is causing me.

Looking at all these replies doesn't make me feel very good about this. I'm 19 and I'm having my tonsils and adenoids removed on Tuesday (9/8/09), missing 2 weeks of college. Definitely not looking forward to the pain!

About a month back i was rushed to the ER as a tonsillar abcess was causing my throat to close off, sore throat from hell. The ENT that handled the procedure flat out told me to get a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy. Which went in for last Wednesday 9-9-09, its been a rollar coaster. I'm a big guy 6'4 325lbs, so naturally my tonsils were HUGE! Due to bleeding problems and the amount of tissue to remove a 30 minute procedure turned to three hours. Coming out of surgery i was okay, a little groggy and thirsty. Drank some water and ate a popsicle just fine. Days 1 and 2 were okay, pain swallowing of course, which sucked. I was able to get down a little water and eggs. Have liquid hydrocodone which really helps. Days 3 and 4 came the jaw pain, at first was worried something was wrong with my teeth, and after this surgery the last thing i wanted to do was a root canal or the like. My mom is a PA-C, who said its just because the way they had to position everything for surgery. The jaw pain is something else let me tell ya. Its like every single tooth wants to explode. The pain medicine helps for a few hours, but i can't stand the pain when it wanes, i'm taking about half the dousage (2 tablespoons 4-6 hours, i'm about 1 tablespoon for 4 hours). There is a positive side though, because of my tonsils my oxygen intake when i lay down would actually cause the monitor in the ER to go off, which is why the last year or so i've been having to sleep longer and more often just to feel rested. Now with the tonsils out, my sleep is so complete and relaxing that i'm only sleeping about 5-6 hours a night, but completely rested. Doesn't help with all the food comercials on TV though, i want a whopper so bad its insane!

I'm 19/f and had my tonsils removed 6 days ago and recovery is all over the place for me. Some days I feel fine and like im getting better, then other days, like today, I feel like im back to square one.
When I first had my operation, I was sleepy, irritable and obviously couldn't really talk. I tried to eat but couldn't so had the nurses bringing me cups of ice. They had given me all the painkillers they could give me, but I was still in agony and ice was the only thing that would help. By the next morning, i managed to eat, but had to keep the ice on the area where my tonsils were to numb it, and then have a bite of food. Takes a while to eat but definitely worth it.
I only coughed up blood once while i was in hospital (was in for 1 night) and then a couple of times the day i got home, but since then, havent had any bleeding, which i guess is a good thing.
I'm trying to get back to normal food-wise now after eating a lot of baby food over the past 5 days but its not easy. I had my housemates bring me a KFC yesterday, and i knew it was gonna be painful, but wasnt expecting it to take 3 hours to eat a twister wrap. Was absolute agony trying to eat it but worth it just to have real food.
I've found that i can't drink fizzy drinks at the minute either. Whenever i try, i get this unbearable burning sensation in my throat that feels like its been ripped open. I Havent had the same problem with any food or anything, just fizzy drinks... and soluble paracetamol just now.
I think thats pretty much my horrible tonsilectomy experience summed up. Not to scare anyone thats reading this pre-op, but even though this is only a tiny operation, I've been in so much more pain with this than i have with bigger operations.
1 more thing- i dont know if anyone else has had this problem. When my tonsils were removed, my right was LOADS bigger than the other so they said they had to send it away for tests to make sure its all good... has anyone else had this? what did it turn out to be?

I'm 27 and had my tonsils removed on 10/27/09. I'm a nurse and work on an ENT unit, so I already knew what to expect, and I know all our ENT doctors. They decided to do a tonsillectomy because I've been having bad recurrent infections since 10/08. Waking up in recovery, I was fine. The pain was minimal, I wasn't nauseous, and I could drink easily. The only real issue I found was that my jaw hurt from them holding it open for the procedure, and I was very swollen. It felt like I had something solid in the back of my throat touching my tongue, but the nurse said it was just my uvula- that it gets very swollen after this surgery. This is pretty much what I felt for the first 3 days after surgery- the worst part being that I couldn't sleep well because of the swelling. I would wake up choking on my own spit because I couldn't swallow it well when asleep. The 4th-8th days were the worst for pain, but it was still manageable as long as I kept up with taking my pain medicine (lortab elixer). I was pretty weak from not eating much- I think I averaged a scoop or 2 of mashed potatoes per day, plus a few popsicles that made my throat feel really good. Around this time I started having another problem- after waking up I'd have a lot of thick green mucus that I had to cough up. I knew I shouldn't cough, but I had to or I couldn't breathe. It got so bad that I thought I was getting bronchitis or something. Luckily after about 3 days it went away, so I'm not really sure what that was all about. The coughing made me bleed twice, once on day 6 and once on day 10- but both times it was minimal bleeding, I think I loosened some of the scabs with the coughs, making it bleed some.

So.... up to this point it was all pretty manageable- not fun by any means, but I could tolerate it. However, starting on day 6 I began to have some burning pain that was in my throat and went to my ears. It actually got worse as the days went on. On day 9 my mom called the doctor for me to see if I should come in, since my post-op appt. wasn't until day 15(I still couldn't talk well, people on the phone couldn't understand me). They assured me that it was normal, and my pain was just lasting longer than most people. Well I finally get to my post-op appt. and it turns out I have a bad yeast infection in my throat and on my tongue, due to all the antibiotics I had been on (5 weeks total pre-op, and 10 days post-op). At this point the burning had gotten so bad that the only think I could drink was room temperature water, and maybe a few bites of mashed potatoes. Everything I put in my mouth felt like acid, and every time I had to swallow I was in tears. The doctor said this new infection was causing the pain, so he put me on one week of nystatin solution that you swish and swallow. The pain didn't go away until 2 days after I was done the nystatin. After that, I quicky recovered and was eating normal food within a day or 2. But by this time I was very weak from not eating much, and it exhausted me to even take a shower. So it took me another week just to build up my strength. I ended up being out of work for 4 weeks for this surgery.

To the person who wanted to know why they tested your tonsils- doctors almost always do a pathology of anything they remove from your body. They sent mine off to be tested, just to be sure it wasn't cancerous or anything. My pathology just came back as chronic tonsilitis- my doctor told me this during my post-op visit.

I just woke up (4am) with agonizing pain and doubled up on the pain meds so waiting for them to kick in. this is day 3, and I am dreading it getting any worse! I am 20 and stayed in hospital overnight, straight after surgery I was in the recovery suite for an hour and a half being given liquid morphine and paracetemol followed by codeine and lots of oxygen because I was shivering and couldn't breathe properly which was terrifying. I had an adenotonsillectomy, endoscopic sinus surgery and septoplasty so not only does my throat hurt really badly but my nose is starting to hurt and bleeds constantly which is gross. going to try and get some more sleep because it helps me ignore the pain, definitely waking up in 3 hours time to take the pain meds again this is horrible! yesterday I was eating toast and pizza because the nurse said it would actually help and with the pain im feeling now with thick saliva in the back of my throat I don't think I'll be eating much at all. :-( I can't wait for this to get better! I am meant to be going back to uni in 2 weeks and I am dreading the flight so think I might book a train ticket when I wake up this is agony!

im 21 and had mine out on the 5th there it was a bit od because i went in, nobody spoke to me other than the anesthesiologist for about 1 minute before hand then after it again no doctors or anything spoke to me to tell me how it went etc, just nurses telling me to drink water and take pills. probebly just the NHS though.

im eating pretty normally. from the day after it they told me to eat and drink as much as i could and that rougher foods would actually help. so i started off with toast.. pretty much soaked in butter at the start to soften it (took me like 20mins per slice and about 4 seconds to try and force swallow every mouthful) but about 2 days later i was eating reasonably normally after about 4pm. im taking voltrol and co codine, the co codine dosnt help that much but i pretty much cant live without the voltrol. i usually wake up in the middle of the night with a lot of pain but once i take one of them i can sleep again..... and then in the mornings when i wake up im in agony again until i take another one. im bored useless of sitting about and it still takes a few seconds to swallow food but hopefully if im already eating normal foods now i should heal up pretty quick. anyone know how long before i can dget drunk? cant be missing st paddys day drinking!

I'm 21 y/o female, just got a full-scale FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) and tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy on June 10th. This is day #6 and I feel like I've taken about 3 steps backwards. Two days ago, I was beginning to eat semi-solid foods (softened crackers, soups, mashed potatoes, peas, ect.) but now I can't even bare to put anything in my mouth besides tea or water. I'm starting to cough up dark yellow mucus (sometimes with traces of dried blood) and I'm having extreme facial pressure. Even worse, every time I try to eat anything, I have the most intense aching pain on my right side where my right tonsil was. Before the tonsillectomy, my right side was the one that always gave me the worst problems, so the wound site is a lot worse and a lot deeper than the one on the left since the right tonsil was so incredibly over-sized. It feels like the unbearable ache is penetrating to my temples and my inner ear anytime anything besides tea or water touches it.

I'm on my refill of liquid hydrocodon/Loratab (7.5mg) and also taking Loratab tablets (10mg) during the day as needed. I'm following directions, trying to space out my dosages 3-4 hours a part, but the pain is really intense and I usually can't sleep through the night because the pain wakes me up. Has anyone else experienced this?

One thing I HIGHLY SUGGEST to anyone getting a tonsillectomy - stay away from food or drink with high sugar/salt levels or with high acidity!! 3 - 4 days after my surgery, I could NOT eat applesauce or anything with lots of sugar or acid because I could literally feel the acid burning my surgery site in my throat. Plus, things with salt can pull the moisture out of your body, making it harder to stay hydrated and comfortable. I can't even drink Gatorade right now because I'm so sensitive to the salt/acid thing. Stick to simple things like water and tea, lightly sweetened if needed. Fact: tea leaves are high antioxidants and can reduce swelling and bleeding!

Hello

Well it's now Friday 18th June 2010 and I had my tonsils removed on Tuesday 15th June, so I am now on day 4.

For the first 2 days I naively thought I'd gotten away with any major pain and discomfort. It was either due to the plentiful pain killers they gave me during surgery (when I woke up in the recovery room I was in absolute bliss from the morphine!) or, in some people, it just takes that long for the real pain to start.

Now, the last 2 mornings have been really sore on waking and trying to drink water (which I am forcing myself to do for fear of dehydration) is a real feat. I whince with each tiny swallow.

I have a slight 'shivery' feeling in my body too, a bit like when you have a cold. But my temperature is normal. I will keep an eye on that though.

I'm pretty fortunate in some respects in that I have an enormously long tongue and have always been able to really 'explore' the world of my back-throat and right inside my nasal cavity - as far as the internal openings of my nostrils. With this I can feel a lot of swelling around the soft palate as well as the now crater-like tonsil beds. Fortunately for me there is no bleeding - other than a very minimal metallic taste from the wound sites. I use my tongue to clear anything that gets stuck right at the back of my throat - however this itself isn't a pain-free operation.

I hope this is the peak but from reading many of these posts I still think I potentially have a couple of weeks of this to come.

All the best.

Jason

HI I m A 21 year old female I just got my tonsils removed today and expected the worst. When I woke up my throat hurt a little but after being given pain meds I was good to go. They gave me some Jello at the Hospital but I was STARVING so when my parents took me home we stopped at my favorite burger place and I got a burger, fries, a shake and water!!! I ate all of it without it hurting very much. Today alone I have eaten that, toast with peanut butter, mashed potato's and gravy and apple sauce. I guess there is a chance I will pay for it tomorrow but I am really not feeling to bad at this point. Almost every post I have read says in is horrible but maybe I just have a high paain tollerance. I will keep you posted on my progress.;