I started following Shaktidurga's post-tonsillectomy recovery information on another health topics forum, and found her information to be especially useful. She appeared to be quite intelligent, and was carefully logging the details of her recovery, listing what worked well and what didn't work well. I think the SteadyHealth readers would find her recovery information valuable too.

Shakidurga, please consider posting all of your recovery information on SteadyHealth, day-by-day. I think it will help many people have a quicker, less painful recovery. Thanks!

SeattleHiker wrote:

Thank you. Unfortunately I got banned from that board for, well, blogging about my day to day recovery. And my thread got poofed. I didn't save a copy of it so I don't even have that anymore.

I wrote to the administrator of that board and got an extremely rude, sarcastic response to the effect of "it's my board and I'll do what I damn well please with it, and if you don't like it, too damn bad."

So I'm more than a little hesitant about posting my day to day information. Plus since my thread over there got poofed, I don't have it any more.

I was banned from the other site for asking the moderator to reinstate you, even though I was very polite!

Since your experience is still so fresh, please consider taking the time to write out what you did that helped, and what you did that didn't help. I suggest writing it first on a document that you save on your computer, then pasting it to SteadyHealth. Many readers, including me, will benefit from your insights.

If you have Google Desktop on your PC, it would have saved a copy of your original posts.

Thank you! I hope that your recovery is going well today!

Hm, I"ll have to remember Google Desktop in the future.

I did post a synopsis of what worked for me a few minutes ago.

So you got banned for asking them to reinstate me huh.... sheesh that board isn't worth anyone's time.

My 17 year old daughter had a tonsillectomy on July 1. It is now July 6. July 1 through the AM of July 3 were pretty horrible mostly in the evenings. She said it was much worse than the pain when she had her ACL surgery last year and was shaking uncontrollably. She did have the complication of her uvula swelling to the point that it filled up the back of her throat the first night. That was scary. We have found that the key to keeping the pain manageable is to drink lots and lots of water which she was not doing enough up initially. It really does help reduce the pain. I bought a machine that shaves ice and we froze Coke, Snapple and gingerale and make her cups of that, also. The last 3 evenings she has felt well enough to go and hang out with friends. Except for 1 night she has not had a problem sleeping. That's the one time she is not aware of any pain. After the first day she has been eating very soft mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and soup as well as Jello, pudding, applesauce and popsicles, She even had a hambuger on July 4th and a regular meal tonight.