My urologist believes that I have a caruncle and possible urethral prolapse. He is treating it with vaginal estrogen cream applied topically 2x a day.

If this prolapse (or caruncle) goes down in size, is there a need to do a biopsy to surgically remove the protruding area? He seems unsure why the "caruncle" is so large and my OBGYN has stated that I definitely have a urethral prolapse (thus the larger size) -- which I am almost certain that I have.

What is the recommended treatment for urethral prolapse? Would Kegel exercises be sufficient to prevent this from happening again? How can I confirm with my doctor which this is... caruncle or prolapse?

Thank you so much!

I found the question very interesting, I may be having the same problem and would be interested in the reply.

What are the differences betw. caruncle, prolapse and polyp?
-does estrogen cream really help?
-when is surgical removal necessary?

I have had a polyp (at least that's what my urologist said it was) removed three !!! times.

Since this seems to be a recurring problem with me I am beginning to question whether it is a polyp, and am also questioning the necessity of surgercal removel - the tissue was non-cancerous.

If surgery is not necessary I would prefer to treat it with creams etc.

Thank- your for your help!

I am having a urethra caruncle ( that's what the uro thinks it is ) surgically removed on Tuesday. He doesn't think it's cancerous but I'm still scared. It's big (2cm. ) but he says that the size doesn't have anything to do with malignancy. He wants to remove it so it won't bother me if it gets any bigger. I've had very few symptoms- just a little spotting in the beginning and no pain. I'm 60 and the doc says I am young for this.

I have a urethral prolapse and am uncomfortable using estrogen cream so am trying to get my doctor to agree with surgery.

However, the odd thing is I am only 28 years old. I've never had children, am very healthy, no doctor knows why this has happened to me, since it usually happens to post-menopausal or pre-pubescent girls. I have searching the internet for any other young women who have experienced a urethral prolapse but have found nothing. Any one who has any information on having a urethral prolapse at such a young age, I would love to hear it!!

What exactly does your prolapse look like. I think I may have something similar and I'm not sure what it is. I am 30 years old, also with no children. The area under my urethral opening is swollen...the swolleness extends around the opening of my vagina. Its not painful and does not burn when I urinate. I go to the gyno on Monday. I do have some incontinence once in a while.

Hi, I am 32 and have a caruncle that was undiagnosed until about two years ago, when it hurt so much I could hardly walk. In retrospect I have had it most of my life, as I thought it was supposed to hurt when clothes touched it or I had sex. I have used estrace cream off and on and it helps quite a bit. I have one child, age 6, but as I mentioned I had the pain and red spot both before and after he was born. I would like to get it removed but I have crappy insurance at this time.

Hi, I never saw this post last year but am curious if your issue turned out to be a urethral prolapse as well?

I am a 36 year old and I think I may have it too and it's so frustrating because no one seems to know anything. I went to my obgyn and he sent me to a urologist and he could t do anything bc I was pregnant. It's been 3 months since my csec And It is very very painful for me when I urinate. I don't want to have surgery but I have to do something about the pain. I wish I could speak or see an expert. I get the same thing too that this only happens in pubescent or menopausal women. Very confused and need something for the pain

Look up Dr Sandy Bevacqua

Hey everyone. I'm 25 years old 14 weeks pregnant and both doctors that looked at me think i have a urethral caruncle. I'm terrified, they both were unsure what it was and tried to send me to the neurology department. They denied seeing me because of my pregnancy and told me I have to try and tough if out with antibiotics. Then they can take care of it after the baby is born. If anyone has any suggestions thats pregnancy safe please let me know. I'm in pain, uncomfortable and trying my best to stay postive.

I ment Urology****

25 and 14 weeks pregnant. Same thing has happened to me. Only option is antibiotics. Any advice

There are excersizes you could do to have correct pelvic posture. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I found out from my Urologist that I have a urethral prolapse a week ago. I am 25 and have experience a burning sensation when urinating since I was 11 years old. I went to doctors time and time again where doctors told me I have a uti and face me antibiotics each time which only help temporarily each time. Last week I decided to go see a urologist who finally gave me a correct diagnosis. I am using the oestrogen cream as treatment for a month and will let you know how it goes.

Could it be possible that you have had the prolapse since you were a lot younger and only started having symptoms now?

I hope this helps.

I first had polyps in my 30's and they bleed if I have too much acid in my food. I also have urethral stenosis. I am scared stupid right now because I have just taken a look and my urethra is no longer round and smooth looking but seems to be in my vagina and very lumpy. Seeing urologist on Friday. Does anyone know what this could be?