I was diagnosed with Mitral valve prolapse when I was 16. I didn't have any of the symptoms, but over the past year, I have developed most of them. I feel chest pain in the middle-left side of my chest, sometimes for up to10 minutes, in which time I can't breathe full breaths. I also experience shortness of breath, and fatigue sometimes. I am going for a check in a week, but I was wondering, what are my chances of needing surgery?

I asked my friend who is physician and she says that indications for surgery in mitral valve prolapse is to have severe mitral valve regurgitation. I don't think that these symptoms that you have are symptoms of severe mitral valve regurgitation, but again check with your doctor. These are the regular mitral valve prolapse symptoms. He said that the best way to find out is to have an echocardiogram done every year or according to what your doctor thinks.