I'm a 23 year old gay male and recently have noticed what I think might be a partial, mucosal rectal prolapse. I read that receiving anal sex from someone who is wider/larger in circumference than average and insufficient lube may cause this.

My symptoms started a few months ago when I noticed some leakage, blood on the toilet tissue, and itching. Later, I seemed to feel like I had to.. clench in longer after BMs as it felt like everything wasn't being pulled back in immediately. I went to the doctor and she thought it might be internal hemorrhoids that were coming out during BMs, but after a round of suppositories (w/ an anti-inflammatory and a steroid), I am still having the same symptoms. I do notice that there is less of a feeling of things slipping out when I stick to taking Metamucil a couple times a day so things are softer. When I don't, I tend to have harder, smaller stools and more bleeding.

So, my questions:

1) Does rectal prolapse seem to be the next route to explore? - I had sex with this individual once and never had any of these sort of problems before him - and they didn't seem to develop completely until about a month after.

2) If I go to the doctor, and it is in fact rectal prolapse, does anyone know if after surgery, an individual can once again be on the receiving end of anal sex?

Any help of feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think I have the same issue... and I'm also concerned about if i get surgery, will I be able to have anal sex again??

Let me know if you have any updates.

hi
i know i'm dragging up an old post but i'm just wondering if anyone has found an answer to this question? i had my first ever gay sexual experience just over a year ago. he was very large and i definitely think this is what caused the prolapse because there is nothing else in my diet or otherwise that i can think would have caused it. i am now terrified though that i have ruined my chances of ever having enjoyable anl sex again, even if i get the surgery. can someone please provide some info?? i am seriously praying that it is possible to return to sex after the surgery otherwise this would be really truly devastating.
thanks

Me and my wife have enjoyed anal sex with no problems. She had an anal prolapse that we had taken care of through surgery and since have refrained from anal sex thinking it might cause problems with the surgery. Anal sex with the prolapse wasn't a problem, it didn't worsen the prolapse but we are afraid of tearing or causing problems with the surgery.

i know the post is old but i kinda have the same issue right now for months i have noticed a partial prolapse, i really wanna find out if i get surgery will i be able to enjoy anal again so if you ever did it tell me please

The above post is too judgmental, bordering on the vicious.  Though some gay folk are "size-queens," i.e. they want a man with a large sexual organ, happenstances may occur, and one may in fact have a partner wh is very large.  And so what, if that's what one likes.  The question is not a moral one, it's a medical one and this person turns it into a  personal judgment.

I would have to agree with you...Well said! This guy is wanting medical advice, not a lecture about morality! From a heterosexual female!

You are young for a prolapse but check it out with your Doctor. However there are other things you can do to keep healthy and loving! Straining and constipation are really bad for your pelvic floor and can contribute to prolapse. Try to avoid laxatives and softeners too as they cause the muscles to weaken thereby exacerbating the problem.

1. Stop straining, get a toilet stool like the Squatty Potty - great for strain-free pooing, and good when you want to clean using a douche or enema too.

2. Start kegel exercising. Yep they are good for your erections and ejaculation, but better for your bum than you realise. The majority of your pelvic floor muscles are behind the anus, so they need to be exercised. Squeeze and lift up inside of you. Start at you anus as if trying to hold in wind. Do long squeeze and holds 5 secs each, then relax for 5 seconds, and short fast ones 1 sec hold, 1 sec release. 10 of each 3 times a day.  By strengthening your muscles (these are what support your pelvic organs, bladder, bowel,) you will prevent prolapse and have a better love life too.

3. Posture - sit up straight, walk talk. Don't sit in a C shape, its bad for your pelvic floor and your spine/back too! Don't be a butt tucker - tucking your bum in, its bad posture and will eventually reflect in your pelvic floor.

Hope this helps

In addition to getting sound, compassionate medical advice, in general, work your core muscles for support (there are a lot of them involved) and yes, avoid straining and try to prevent hard stools. Prunes and prune juice are great -- adjust the frequency and amount you eat or drink until you find a good balance, and they won't alter your nutrient absorption the way other laxatives can.I had nerve compression from a fractured vertebra for several years and didn't know it -- finally had emergency spinal surgery shortly before I would have become incontinent and paralyzed, my neurologist says. Now I'm rebuilding multiple muscles that wasted over a long period of time, as well as the associated nerve connections. (I currently have orgasms from sitting on a cold floor -- fun!) Though I have some prolapse, both bladder and rectal, I don't typically have troublesome symptoms.

(I'm a woman and, as they say, the vagina is a nice buffer between bladder and rectum -- as well as an access point to gently push things back into place when necessary. I've never enjoyed receiving anal, personally, but anything inserted in my rectum is going in a direction that won't irritate anything.)I realize I'm not particularly experienced or knowledgeable on this specific issue, Brent, but I get so tired of people (not on this forum) still assuming that male-on-male anal sex is the cause of all these problems, I was online comforting myself after discovering how misinformed an old friend is, and I wanted to offer whatever support I can. Have a great day.

Anal sex is complicated is like swiming, and needs training. It is important to start progressive anal diltation with one finger or anal dilatators of diferent sizes. If it is done with fingers yo must use gloves, and plenty of lubriant each session must last for 15 to 30 min. When you start feeling NO PAIN and some pleasure, then you use 2 fingers or next anal dialator. You can ask your partner to do the dilation and you can do it to him or her. The best way to know if you have a prolapse, is to have medical evaluation. This is a general information because each case has to be evaluated. Try to consult with a Dr who has experience treating people who has anal sex. 

YES HELP! I have the same problem and I want it fixed. Can I have anal sex after surgery? That is if it get surgery. I did do some research and I came across a post that mentioned accupuncture, some herb chinesse formula and of course the Kegal excersises. I guess, I should just talk to my doctor. Kinda nervous, not going to lie, as its not an everyday subject. I really want this to be dealt with so I can go back to not worry about anything. Now, I'll be sure to use plenty of lube and tell my partner to work his way, instead of us just going straight there.

Nah, I'm all good. Was actually really worried about the sex thing because I have been searching online and saw all these different reviews about the surgery I had and being able to have anal sex without it happening again. Very very relieved!!!.

Well said Commonsense!!!

There are plenty of gay doctors who do not judge. Gay men should never go to hetrosexual doctors unless recomended by your gay doc. We all need doctors that we can be honest with. Anyone who is afraid to tell their doc the truth about anything is clearly going to the wrong doctor. I can't imagine hiding anything from my doctor except my check book. ha

Seeing as how you know everything, how about this. (Sorry I've to assume you female, same can be used for male with impotence) After years of sex (hetero) a women developed a vaginal prolapse. (As a nurse, I know child birth is the main cause) So, off to the Doctor. He says, you've broken your vaginal from over use/abuse. No sex ever again, or everything will fall out. How are you going to feel, when what you and you partner have to give up vag sex, forever. Blow/hand jobs are not the same, and are one sided. Think about that.