Hello! I have found a hard small lump behind my left ear. I haven't noticed it earlier and I am not even sure if I had it before or not. It is firm and round shaped. It doesn't hurt me and it is not red or inflamed. I don't know if I should visit my doctor. What could it be? My mother says it is a fatty lump. I am afraid this could be a swollen lymph node and I have heard this could be the symptom of cancer.

Hello! I don't think you should worry so much. If this lump doesn't hurt and it doesn't change its size or become inflamed it is probably nothing. It is most probably a lymph node that swelled due to an infection of your throat, ear or a tooth. Lymph nodes can be enlarged as the result of an infection and they usually return to their normal size after few weeks, but sometimes they stayed little enlarged and never go back to normal. This is probably what happened to you. If you don't feel any other symptoms as fever, unexplained weight losing or night sweats there is no reason to worry.

it's been almost a year now since my husband notice my lump behind my ear, by the bone area, in the middle. it does hurt, when im sleeping on my right side, turn around and my ear starts to hurt a lot, i have to pull my ear a way from the pain. here are is a list where im hurting because of this.
1. my right neck hurts a lot, shore.
2. when i try to clean my ear, it feels like it's closing in, because i can't hardly fit the q-tip in to clean.
3. my head, the scalp hurts, it's itching a lot, my sister look and saw red, really red scalp.
4. when i touch the lump, it hurts, it doesn't move around
5. i feel dizzy every week, feel like im going to black out.
6. headaches on my right side.
7. my back is always hurting.(shore)
I hope i get some answers real soon, see what this is, i have. :-(

hey there -
i have the same thing. looked online. it might be a fungus. if you have two of four symptoms (both the lump and the itching scalp) then that means it is probably a fungus-type thing. but see a doctor for sure! i just read about that online while trying to figure out what to do.

Hey. I have two small moveable lumps behind my right ear. Sometimes i feel itchy. I havent been sick, sweating, or losing weight. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I hope its not serious

Hello. I have a small lump behind my right ear, like on my head. It doesn't hurt and it can kinda move but its hard. And my mom cleans a doctors office so I had one of the ladies there look at it. I cant remember what she called it but its no biggie. Shetold me to put a warm wash clothe on it everyday and it will go down. But I decided not to because it makes me unique. :-) Haha.

i have a small hard (dime sized) lump on the bone area behind my left ear.i am not even sure how long i have had it but i know i have had it for some time now maybe a few years and i never really thought anything of it until now because it has grown painful to the touch has anyone experienced this before? what is this i think i am going to the doctor.

I have a swelling and lump behind my left ear. It is very tender. It is behind the ear halfway down. Also the bone behind my ear is tender. What can be causing it?

When I was 15, I developed a swollen area behind my left ear (about halfway down) and my mother took me to the doctor. They told me that it was a swollen lymph node and that it may or may not ever go down. It was large (about the size of a peewee marble) and sort of pointy at first, but it went down a little bit over the next year. We wrote it off as a puberty thing. It finally settled and flattened a little bit over the years, until I hardly ever think about it. It causes no discomfort or pain and no one notices it.

I'm 38 now and it has never affected my health, nor have I felt the need to follow up with a doctor. So, honestly, if you feel the need to have a doctor examine it, do so. But try not to worry about it too much.

well I have a small bump behind my right ear. I did have a stressful week and this has happened in the past, but it always goes back down to normal. I do notice that I have a very slight bump, hardly noticeable on my left ear. My question is how could this be?

Swelling of lymph nodes generally results from localized or systemic infection, abscess formation, or malignancy; other causes of enlarged lymph nodes are extremely rare. By far the most common cause of lymph node enlargement is infection. As a rule, when swelling appears suddenly and is painful, it is usually caused by injury or an infection. Enlargement that comes on gradually and painlessly may result from malignancy or tumor.

Common causes of enlarged lymph nodes:

* Infectious mononucleosis (behind the ears or neck)
* Rubella, also known as German measles (behind the ears)
* Tuberculosis (above the collar bone)
* Mumps (salivary glands)
* Ear infections or sore throat (neck glands, sometimes)
* Infection in the scalp (behind the ears or in back of the head)

Call your health care provider if:

* after several weeks of observation the glands do not get smaller
* swollen glands are red and tender
* glands are hard, fixed to the skin, or are growing rapidly
* swollen glands are located behind the ear and there is also a scalp infection
* symptoms such as weight loss, night sweats, fatigue, or prolonged fever are also present
* one or more glands get larger over a period of 2-3 weeks.

I have 2 red swollen knots that appeared on the top right side of my forehead. I thought they were bug bites, but I don't feel they are anymore. Then I noticed a lump in my throat just under my right ear. The lump is pea size and to my knowledge it has been there about 4 days, same time frame as the knots on my head. I noticed these things on a Thursday and decided to go to the doctor but I need to wait until monday to make an appt. Since Friday my head has been itching really bad only on the right side. I am worried it is something dangerous.....does anyone know what this could be?

if small red or pimple like and only on 1 side and you have had chicken pox before this may be the onset of shingles and you need to see a dr. right away to start treatment as soon as possible

If you have big red bumps, that wouldn't be a lymph node. What it sounds like to me instead that you have is cystic acne, which can look like what you've described. Have you been to the doctor? Tell me how things went, okay? I'd like to hear how things are.

I too have a large knot on my forehead at the hairline only on the left side. It is painful and a bit itchy. I also have painful lymph nodes on the left side at my jawline and neck. The story is EXACTLY the same...I thought those little bumps were bug bits but now the knot has grown to be about 2 inches long and hard. I think I'm going to go to urgent care...because besides this story I cannot find any other similar stories to my situation. And that person has not written a response! If you know of anything please respond.

Thanks in advance

Kristina