I recently noticed a painful bump where my jawbone is connected, and kind of in front of my ear. I messed with it: pressed on it, moved it around...and, of course, it hurts a bit more, or at the most, I can feel it now that I've messed with it. It is deep under the skin, feels like its in the muscle. I have a friend who has non-cancerous tumors as small painful lumps in her lower back. Could this be something like that?

Does anyone know what this could be?

Hi mate
The lump you have might not be anything as some times your body can create these lumps and they soon go, leave it a day or two more and if its still there and a white / black head does not appear on the top go to your doctor but try not to worry.

You could try to move the skin around the lump to massage the area as the lump may break up and go away.

These ideas / comments are just from what i have heard and have tried, but the most important thing is not to panic about it. Most of the time these things sort them selves out.

Did you ever find out whathis was? I noticed it too.

Guest wrote:

voltagejunkie wrote:

Does anyone know what this could be?

Did you ever find out whathis was? I noticed it too.[i have this too.]

i have a similar problem by my ear. i recently saw a doctor about it and she said that it could be a lymph node and not to worry. if it gets any worse i have been told to go back. if your at all worried, go see your doctor. hope this helps.

oh my gosh! i have the exact same thing! thats what im on here attempting to find out what they are. I get these painful lumps that feel like marbles under my skin - i had one right by my jaw like near my ear how you explain, but then in will go away and another one will come like underneath my chin, the soft part, or i will get them on my hair line... they are deep and they are hard and swollen and worst of all they hurt! did you ever find out what they are?

I'm also experiencing this. I first noticed it a couple years back, but it was not painful, just a small lump, so I figured it wasnt much to worry about. I woke up today and it is sore, so now I'm concerned. I've read that things like this isn't much to worry about unless it grows or becomes infected, but it's hard not to worry. If anyone has an answer, it would be greatly appreciated....

I Have The Same Exact Thing- it is on my jaw but feels like between where my ear starts and my jaw. it also started as a little thing with a little bump on the outside which is visable. it grew like this in about a day and i cant even sleep on it because it hurts so much. if i touch it, it feels like a little BB pellet and im trying not to worry but i never had something like this

Thats crazzy I have the same thing. Right infront of my left ear. I didnt even notice it untill i applied foundation and the pressure caused some pain. I was so scared at first. But , now im glad to see im not the only one. Has anyones gone away? I think mines getting smaller. Im just not going to mess with it. Thanx for the help everyone.

I get them too. They are just swollen lymph nodes. They usually flare up if you have been sick or had some kind of infection. They go away.

The "marbles" or little "BBs" underneath your skin are called lymph nodes or glands. When your body goes through difference changes some can swell or something similar and it can be slightly painful if its very active. You can actually find these all over your body if you look; in the neck/chin (like under your jaw around the bottom of your face, near the ears, in the arm pits, around the pubic area left and right. Nothing to worry about at all. If you remove them from your body, then maybe a slight problem could develop.

There are also bumps in the back of people's heads, the to lower right and lower left, I'm not sure what these are; possibly the same things.

I have the same thing! I hardly ever get sick, but I started coughing and feeling week five days ago, and it's been getting worse ever since! This is the longest I've been sick since I was a small child, and I just barely noticed a painful, hard lump in front of my ear by my jaw.
I got in a car accident last february and hurt my jaw- so I was beginning to worry it had something to do with that, but it sounds like it's probably just a swollen gland from being sick...
Still, I'll check back- I hope people update on how theirs is going!

wow! i'm happy to find i'm not the only one with this situation. it sounds exactly the same.

i don't feel like i'm getting a cold or anything though. did anyone get this first and then get a cold a few days later?

thanks for everyones input

These are lymph nodes.......they will occasionally appear larger from time to time if they are fighting an infection. (cold, conjunctivitis, tonsilitis etc.)
They can also be painful to the touch if they are enlarged, but don't worry about them.......They consume the bacteria to stop it travelling to other parts of your body and that's their job!

***EDITED BY MODERATOR***

I just read all these posts and feel a little calmer now than I did 5 minutes ago! I noticed a small hard lump in front of my left ear near my jaw. I recently was sick - very bad cold - upper respitary infection - My Doctor prescribed Levaquin antibiotics - one a day for 5 days - Today was the 5th day and I do feel somewhat better - Hopefully this is not a serious lump and its just a swollen gland /lymph node.