Has anyone ever experienced severe heart burn a ways into a run? This is probably the 4th time it's happened to me and this time it has set me back a few days. Usually, happens about a mile or so into the run- my chest just feels like someone is wringing it with their hands inside. This time was definately the worst. I went for a quick 2 with my hubby and it started to happen. So i stopped while he did a loop and turned around to head back. But I was on the ground laying down because i couldn't stand it any more. It subsided after about 10-15 minutes. I went home, relaxed, made dinner...stupid me ate too fast and probably too much and i got it real bad the entire rest of the night. Took some GasX and i think that helped a little. But I still hurt a bit the next morning and this morning I just didn't want to push it. I've never had it effect me for three days. My dad has acid reflux problems and I've had them in the past, but it wasn't when i was running.

Just wondering if any one else has had this problem or heard of it. I'm going to ask my doc when i go.

Hey, Steph,

I suffer from GERD - gastro esophogeal reflux disorder. I've had it for a few years, stemming mainly from eating hot foods and also anxiety problems I once had. I am on prescription pills for it. I don't usually have problems during a run, but that's because the pills work so well, so I never have it. I take prevacid. No over the counter stuff is strong enough to work for me. You may want to give pepcid AC a try. If that doesn't work, you should consult your doctor. I am lucky, my wife gets free samples from the clinic, otherwise, my insurance no longer covers prevacid, and it's the only one that works for me. Oh, Aciphex does the job, too, but she doesn't usually have samples of that one. Hope this helps a little.

Randy

Randy, Nexxium doesn't help?? I know a lot of people who've had better success with that than with Prilosec, and less side effects.

Steph, what are you eating or drinking before you run and how soon? I know when I don't water down my gatorade I get heartburn big time.

Neither nexxium or prilosec work for me. Different type of blocker. Useless for me.
The only side effects I have from the Prevacid is it gives me the runs. Nothing wrong with a couple extra chances to clean out, though! (sorry)

Randy, thanks for the advice. I haven't tried Pepcid before. And yeah, i will probably try to see what the doc says too.

As far as eating goes, genie, i usually don't eat anything. In this last case, i was running after work, so i had some snacks in the afternoon. An everything bagel i think 8O so maybe that helped it along a bit! I usually run a.m. before anything hits the belly.

Thanks both for your input