I have done almost all of my running at night, or late in the day during the winter. Now I usually work 2-10pm, so my only opportunity to run at night is after 11 oclock or so. It's way too hot to run during the day. So for the past few days I've been waking up at 7 am to go running. For me, running in the morning is just plain hard. I feel sluggish, can't run as far, and just don't run as well as I should. What is your morning routine? The first two days, I just got up, brushed my teeth, looked around on the internet for a few minutes, stretched then ran. Today I had some orange juice and a few handfuls of frosted flakes before running, and I think I fared a little better. I always do much better in morning races, which confuses me a little bit, since I claim to be an evening runner. The only thing I can think of is that for races I am up at least 2 hours before start time and I have a light breakfast. Is my morning difficulty just a mental problem and I'm unmotivated in the morning? What should I do?

some people are not morning people either.
I am a morning person but I get up very early (0430) when I work daywork and it is very tough sometimes. I am usually motivated by the fact that no one else is out when I am.
I also lay out all of my clothes the night before to make it easier to get dressed. Once my feet hit the floor though, I am good to go. I also never regret running once I get out the door.
I also do not have to worry about running the rest of the day because I am done. I sometimes worry if I am going to get tied up and not be able to get my run in if I plan an afternoon run.

Turning your routine around will just take time. Give yourself a week and I bet you'll start to feel better once it's more routine.

For me I get up 15 min before I have to meet my friends and usually do a gu and some water. It's so routine now most of the time I don't even think about it.

I know exactly how you feel about morning running. My morning runs suck. My pace is always slower and I really lack the motivation to run. The getting out of bed to exercise isn't the problem. I get up and ride the trainer or lift almost every day. Just the though of running and having to dodge traffic in the dark just doesn't excite me. The only thing that ever worked for me was self-discipline. Just making myself get up and run no matter what. Looks like I may be joining you soon. I just came in from running at lunch and the heat humidity combo in Atlanta just about did me in. :|

I love my morning runs! I have noticed that since I'm off work for the summer, having a little breakfast beforehand seems to help. Usually I just get up and out the door.

If you feel better eating, then have at it. You could probably eat a granola bar or something on your warm up. I think once you get used to it, morning runs will become easier.

Don't let your brain wake up, that works best for me. Seriously, with morning runs, I'm awake and out the door just minutes after the alarm goes off. What I also do is not to plan any "quality" running for those early am runs. If I have a tempo or interval day planned, I wait to do those later in the day. So, maybe with the days you don't work, those can be the afternoon quality days, but the rest of the week, those early am runs will be easy mileage. I find it especially useful to run my long runs early in the morning so as to keep the pace slow and not go out too fast. People that can run fast early in the a.m. just ain't right.

Nike has a pretty good slogan about the whole exercise thing.

Or, I could quote Steve Goldberg: "There is no such thing as a morning person, it's just a habit you make."

:1: For me I don't like early morning runs. I usually run in the late morning, noontime, or in the late afternoon depending on where time's available.

oh come on PH, you mean you dont love running in the humidity and heat of hotlanta??!! for me, my most favorite part of my run is when my skin is so sweaty that it glistens in the afternoon haze. or when i stop to get a rock out of my shoe and my legs are so sweaty that i cant even rest one on the other knee becase it slides right off... that would be a really friggin big sarcastic smile yes, ill admit it, i am too lazy to roll myself out of bed in the am to run while its still realtively cool. i just try to stay hydrated during the day, go after 4 or 5 and stay in the shade as much as i can.