Wanted your opinions. My diaphragm hurt sometimes if I have some food in my stomach during a run. Also sometimes, I burp and it screws up my breathing.

Your options are to specific IMO, but I usually eat a lot an hour before my run, then a handful of peanuts 10 minutes before. I've got a quick metabolism so I don't reccomend the peanut thing. I reccomend eating an hour to an hour and a half before the run, then like 10 mintues after. Good luck.

I rarely if at all ate before I ran. The only thing I did was take a few sips of water.

Pre-race, I would have a bagle or something small and easy on the stomach

only water before workouts

Before races I usually have a power bar, gatorade and gel.

I usually have two slices of wheat peanut butter toast, a glass of orange juice, and a cup of coffee about an hour before a race. I usually have a bottle of gatorade (24 oz) and some water on the drive to the race.

I've been running in the afternoons lately, about an hour after a normal lunch (Lean Cuisine, yogurt, carrots, water). Afterward I'll have a banana, pretzels and some gatorade.

This is kinda an individual thing too. I'll eat a power bar 1 1/2 hours before races of 10K or more. If I eat anything within a few hours of a 5K I :puke: Sometimes I even :puke: with nothing but water/gatorade in my tummy. That is why I love the clear gatorades.

before i run/everyday in the morning pretty much: .5 cups of slow oats with a cup of soymilk.

before a race 10 miles or less (all that i have experience with!): a whole grain/wheat bagel or oats/soymilk a couple hours before, and then a banana 30 minutes prior to the start. if the race is on the long side, i might grab a meal replacement bar with carbs/protein before i run too.

some people can run on an empty stomach in the morning. i, for one, am not one of those people, as i get dizzy and weak during my runs when i don't have something beforehand. if you're getting digestive problems while you run, maybe wait longer between eating and running to let your body digest the food a little more. you should be eating something light and carb-rich too- nothing with a lot of fat, grease, or comprised purely of protein. i'd say, experiment with different eating patterns both before and after your run and find what works best for you individually. good luck! :D

This is a very person-specific thing. When I run in the afternoons, I typically don't eat anything before, and I wait at least an hour after lunch. In the summer I am forced to run in the early morning and I usually have something small such as a bagel or bowl of cereal. I just do this because I'll be starving halfway through the run if I don't. I eat breakfast after I run, usually oatmeal, or more bagels and cereal. For races, I'm usually up 2 hours or more before the start time so I have to eat something. I do keep it light though; I'd much rather be hungry while running than too full.

New here, but I thought I might chime in.

I agree with the previous mentioned statements that eating habits will vary by person. However; what works for me is never running on an empty stomach. I like to go with some toast or other carbohydrate, sometimes with a little honey.(the kind you eat, not the kind you eat with) Then after a run I will fuel up as needed. What is important for me is waiting the right amount of time for digestion. It is no fun when it comes back up. YMMV

Empty stomach runner here. Been doin' it for over 25-yrs. Works for me.

I cannot run on an empty stomach or a full stomach. I eat a snack at work between 4 and 4:30 (usually a sandwich or a bagel) and I'm usually running sometime after 6. If I miss my snack I'll fade fast.

This past week I tried all 3. I usually get a nutri grain bar 45mins before running...

Empty Stoamch at 12 noon -- well I woke up at 11.30 and ate heartily the night before.. Loved it and didnt feel hungry..

Bagel 1hr before run in the morn -- I told you the nagging pain like feelign in diaphraghm right!!.

Nutri grain in the morn -- Still had a bit of a reluxy feelin but was good. Good carb source too I guess.

I noticed that a few occasions where I have burped are when I have some food inside.

Yet another, converted though, empty stomach runner from now on.

That has always worked best for me, too

random thought:

my best friend and i swore by taco bell rice and bean burritos before our high school track meets... we PR'ed every time we ate them.

then again, that was high school...

i am kinda of a sucky runner but i eat pasta the night b4. Then I eat a bagel or sumthing bread-ish for breakfast. For lunch (about 1-2 hrs b4 the race) i eat very small amount of chicken (1/2 a drumstick or less) or macroni and cheese (the cheap powerdy kind, the good stuff is too rich for b4 a race). This system has fluxuated my time by about 5 mins depending if i did oor didnt do this. I am kinda a big eater so some of you migh want to have a bigger lunch and have no lunch.