Hi, my son had an injury during baseball game, and the sports doctor who was examining him, asked if he had tarsal coalition. He advised checking up foots on tarsal coalition. What is tarsal coalition?

Tarsal coalition is the uncommon union of two or more bones in the foot. This union of bones may be either complete or incomplete, and the condition may be congenital, and if it doesn’t pose any trouble stay undetected. If tarsal coalition appears after some trauma, infection, surgery, or articular disorders, it’s called a secondary tarsal coalition. If two bones grow in one it’s called synostosis, if cartilages are involved it’s synchondrosis and if fibrous tissues are concerned, the name for disease is syndesmosis. Pain is the first symptome, which usualy starts only when inducced with some trigger like injury, in your son’s case.

I was diagnosed with tarsal coalition when I was 15, which was 20 years ago. I had surgery 1 month ago and am tracking my recovery on a blog. I am now 5 weeks post-surgery and doing well.

**edited by moderator**