Hello All, I have been looking through this forum for some time and decided to post my experience with the lisfranc surgery. I broke my 3rd metatarsal and shifted all 5 out of place when the ligament was badly torn on May 1st as a result of a torsional fracture/complete dislocation in an industrial accident. Due to dealing with W/C insurance and trying to get an appointment with a reputable orthopaedic surgeon, I did not have surgery until May 25th, and was in the hospital for 3 days following the 4 titanium screw implants. I have never had a broken anything in my 38years and am fortunate that I was not crushed or paralyzed from my accident. Being single, the day they released me from the hospital, I drove nearly three hours to my home and had my surgically repaired left foot on the floor the whole time, which produced some serious pain and swelling(did not take any painkillers due to driving responsibilities). obviously I violated the cardinal rule of keeping my foot above my heart in a big way. I experienced extreme swelling and discoloration for the first two months after the surgery anytime my foot was beneath my heart. At the end of July I started getting better and was able to keep my foot down for extended times without pain/swelling/discoloration. I felt this was the first major step to my recovery and was able to get my fiberglass cast off July 21st and get into a walking cast(aircast). I was to wear this for 4 weeks, but after the first week I began to experiment and I found that I could do some minor hobbling as long as I had a shoe on my foot. I have been walking in regular shoes since Aug 18th, and have begun walking extended lengths up to one mile, when the pain permits. My surgeon has advised that he will take the screws out in mid Oct., and I can hardly wait, because when i try to walk normally without a limp, I can feel the screws in my foot causing the pain. The doc said that I was not to expect to return to normal activities(golf,jogging,waterskiing,snowskiing) for the remainder of this year due to the extreme damage to the ligament over the lisfranc joint and the considerable amount of scar tissue in my foot. I have been doing rehab on my foot(stretching,massaging,weight bearing exercises). this all seems to help and the doc said that i have to gain as much strength in my foot and leg as i can before the screws come out, so that i have the best chance at a decent recovery and return to normal activities. I have consulted with a podiatrist and he advised that I will have arthritis to look forward to in the future, no if and or buts about it. I hope that I can avoid that for as long as possible. After reading about the success stories of some athletes, I am praying and hoping for the best possible outcome. I feel that the worst of this ordeal is behind me, even though I am still looking at the hardware removal in Oct, and the doc said that my foot will be sore for a few days afterward. I hope to hear some additional accounts on this subject(good and bad) so that I can learn as much as possible about this injury and prepare for what the future brings with it. Thanks for any responses to this post, and please pray for the safe return of our troops!

S.H.

Glad to read your story. Im having surgery soon. It will be approximately three months after a suffered my lisfranc injury, and that concerns me. I hope I can recover to 100 percent. By the way, how are you now?

I read your story and can relate to your situation. My first lisfranc surgery was in June'07. the surgery went well, however the recovery I too didn't keep my foot elivatated correctly. In doing so had swelling, minor foot pain, and slight atroffy. I left the screew in my foot intentionally, because I play Football and wanted the added support during rehab, so I could push myself harder to recover. I noticed that I favored my injured foot noticable at first, but after a few weeks of intensive workout with proper resting, iceing, and taking anti-inflamitories. I started to see a major progress. 6 months later I was back to 95% and feeling stronger and faster then ever.
I now have a lisfranc injury on my left foot! I just had surgery yesterday! Im lying in bed once again with my foot elevated. I sustained the injury during football camp, geting cleated by and outside linebacker. I just wanted to tell everyone that there is hope of getting back to your former self. Trust your doctors and have faith in your self! Push yourself and you will see progress. I think that I'll live with a minor minor pain, but thats a small price to pay for the ability to walk and follow my dream. I want to give a messege of hope to all! This is my second time through this type of injury and I look forward to a full recovery and wish all the same as well.

Thank you all for your posts. Me too....a freak accident where I didn't see the ending of a curb! I kept walking...the curb stopped...I didn't! o.O That was mid-May, I had surgery May 29th and now in recovery. I appreciate your encouragement because I have found myself wondering..."will I ever be able to walk normally, again?" I hope so. I can feel all 5 screws, and my foot is still very pained. I'm walking with an aircast (full weight-bearing). The most challenging part has been losing some of my independence. I'm not able to really drive, because it's the right foot, couldn't go upstairs or downstairs in my house for a month (although I can now), etc.... I'm trying to be fully compliant so that I can heal as well as possible. Any tips or suggestions for me? The doctor doesn't have me in any kind of physical therapy, and he says the screws are in to stay.
Thanks so much to all of you, and God bless!

I had a Lisfranc injury 28 years ago, it was not diagnosed or treated. As you can imagine pain was so bad after 28 years, that walking was very painful. Had the surgery Feb. 2009, 7 weeks non-weight bearing, and 6 weeks in an air-boot. Am having the screw taken out this month. I followed the doctors orders to the limit, and am so glad that I did, because I have no pain now. I would advise anyone having this surgery to not bear weight in the beginning and to use the air-boot for the time prescribed by the doctor. By the way, I used a knee scooter the first 7 weeks, and I would also advise anyone having this surgery to use a knee scooter. It saved my sanity.

I agree 100% about the knee scooter it makes getting about so much easier and you are less likely to put any weight on your bad foot. I am in my 9th week after surgery and see the doctor the day after christmas and hope he tells me I can start putting weight on my foot. If so it will be the best christmas present ever!

I had the same an industrial accident on November 1 2012 through workers comp also. Had to be approved for surgery didn't have surgery until December 10 2012. My foot was crushed by a 120 pounds steel part surgery went ok took 3 hours to perform because of all the scar tissue. Had 4 screws to line the bones back together properly that are not going to be removed i'm only 37 not sure if that will affect me the rest of my life. It has been 7 weeks after surgery pain has subsided some swelling is still worrisome. One more week the suppose to be able to put 25% weight on it then 8 weeks 100%. Long and short of it i pray for anyone who sustains this type of injury and good luck with recovery.

I'm 6 months out from my lisfranc surgery where 4 permanent screws were put in to get the bones back together.  I was 10 weeks zero weight bearing and in the air boot after that.  I've been out of the boot now for 2 months which I'm thankful for but my injured foot is still grossly swollen and hurts.  The doc assures me that this is normal and my foot looks great..... what! It's still difficult to walk and as a result, it's throwing off my hips, back and knees.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this as I have heard that it can take up to a year for the swelling to subside, but good grief it's been almost a year since the injury and this pain is wearing on me.  My doc said no PT necessary but can anyone recommend stretches or exercises to help speed up the recovery?

Hey how's it going? I have been out of my boot since august 2012. My foot still has some swelling but has went down a lot since the injury. I am back to playing football but i do have a lil bit of pain/irritance in my foot. I not really bothered by it. I went through PT and i had to do stretches and ressistance bands when i was in the air cast(boot). when i was allowed to weight bear i then began to do standing calf raise on both feet and eventually on my injured foot alone. Jump rope, and a bunch of ankle strengthing exercises. I had 3 screw in my foot and i still have a small piece of one in my foot because i broke it moving around a lot in my boot. You will be fine, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It may take awhile to be 100% but at least you can get back to 95%. Good luck with everything it is a journey.

In2011 I was in a car accident where i obtained 2 broken feet Liz frank fractures all my toes dislocated and shifted. It tOok me a week to get CT scans and get into surgery. I got 3 large titanium screws in my right foot and 4 in my left. I also had 4 pins in each foot sticking out toehold screws in place. I was unable to bear any weight for almost 4 months until they pulled out the pins. Then i was only able to bear weight for about 2min. I was in a wheel chair for about months and what my kids called "Moon boots" I hadn't worn shoes since march 12, 2011 the first time I wear shoes was on august 20th it was a very emotional day for all my family. I'm not glad in any way that u all have had the same surgery. But Im glad that I'm able to share my recovery with those that have been thru it. I've had a long 2yr recovery physically, mentally, emotionally and financially. It was one of the greatest life lessons ever! I'm a nurse now and have so much compassion for my patients cause I was one at one time.

I had my foot injury May 11th, diagnosed on the 13th with a Complex comminuted fracture involving the base of the second metatarsal with slight widening of the Lisfranc joint. Had surgery on the 20th.  The doc inserted 4 Kirschner wires to stabilize the joint and small fracture pieces.  soft cast wrap was placed on teh foot and no weight bearing for 9 weeks. Had hard cast placed on the foot on the 28June and then another hard cast on July 22nd with partial weight bearing permitted using a boot. The Kirschner are wires are still in place. The weight bearing is becoming bearable, with one crutch. I am unable to flex my foot properly because of the cast and K-wires. Foot swells up after about 4 hours of placing weight on it with one crutch. getting an aggravating feeling on the K-wire that is sticking out of the in-side of my right foot. Waiting for Aug 23 to have the cast and pins removed!!:-|

After that I am hoping to be allowed to place more weight on it and be able top flex the ankle. Right now I am experiencing muscle spasm on the foot and restless leg syndrome!  Foot starts to flex on it’s own causing all kinds of pain! I am hoping start PT ASAP to get the leg back into a similar place as my left! The calf has completely atrophied and the foot is shedding dead skin left and right!

I'm in the military and had my foot crushed by the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle. Initial x-rays showed no breaks just pain and bruising with a hematoma on the bottom of my foot. After messing around with military docs for a few weeks I got approved to see a civilian orthopedic surgeon. A load bearing x ray still showed no breaks. Its been another week I can put a little weight on my foot and if I use a boot I can go without crutches. The top and the big toe area of my foot still hurts like hell. Am I being impatient and worrying about nothing?

Still going through recovery from my surgery. I had a 4mm separation between 1&2 metatarsal because of a torn ligament, 4 broken bones and a broken ankle on July 4th. I had three permanent screws put in July 15th. STAY OFF your foot! I was in casts until late September and given a boot afterwards with the condition that I shouldn't walk, only that I could remove it to bathe and to let my leg breathe. After a few weeks I started walking and finally on October 11th I was told to remove the boot. Whew! I've seen some say the knee cart is a life saver, and it might be if you're older or otherwise not too fit. While far from a physical specimen, I used crutches and found that while tiring and difficult I was much more mobile and faster than I would have been with a cart thingy. I am now doing PT but what I've found is that the biggest thing causing ongoing problems is the tightness of my calf / Achilles. That is really hampering my gait and functionality. Whatever you can please try and keep stretching it as you recover. After 14 weeks of immobility it has really tightened up. Also I highly recommend a Styrofoam wedge. It's about 8 inches tall and has a groove cut out for your leg. It really helps keep you "toes above your nose" during the first few weeks of recovery.

Hi, thank you so much for posting your positive story on your return to sports: it offers hope and inspiration. I'm a mom of a young elite athlete who suffered a Lisfanc injury that required surgery after breaking 8 bones. I had never heard of a Lisfranc injury and spent countless hours trying to find information on it, only to come across daunting accounts of how serious this injury is and how difficult it can be to walk again let alone return to sports. I knew there had to be someone with a positive account and outcome of this injury. We’re a family that has suffered much trauma and challenges, but we never give up and have fought to overcome all while staying positive. However, this injury has really taken a toll on my son (and family) emotionally, but your story made me jump out of my seat with happiness.

My son was injured at the beginning of September, but didn’t have surgery for just over 3 weeks because his breaks went undetected at first and then we were told his Lisfanc was intact. However, I had him on crutches non-weight bearing for the entire time in an effort to protect his foot and leg because I knew something was wrong due to swelling a color changes in the leg and foot. It’s now been approx 7 weeks since the surgery; he had Arthrex Suture Bridge put in orthoscoptically to span 2 joints (3 were involved, but surgeon is hoping the 3rd will heal over with scar tissue). The Arthrex Suture Bridge is a little different than having screws put in: its basically a hard string inserted through the bones and held in place by 2 small buttons...we're told it's less invasive and allows for range of motion and doesn't require a 2nd surgery like you would if screws were put in. He’s healing well physically and just been given the go ahead to start putting weight on the foot. However, he’s having a tough time emotionally because he is very active and already been in a cast for over 10 weeks: he’s worried, he has a lot of calf atrophy and is very concerned about playing again and what it will do to his future. My son's been working with a great physio since 2 weeks after his surgery (they did small range of motion exercises with his ankle and toes), but I’m hoping you being an athlete can share any words of wisdom on things you did to help you get back on the field: diet, exercises (especially for the calf), etc: more importantly what you did to stay ahead of the emotional roller coaster of what this type of injury could mean to your career and how you dealt with not being able to train and compete like you wanted to for a period of time.

Hi, thanks for sharing your post about your experience with this injury. I'm a mom of a young elite athlete who just had surgery approx 7 weeks ago. I'm hoping you could share where you found the success stories on athletes, as I've only come daunting accounts of this injury.