My daughter is 19 and has to have her right ovary and fallopian tube removed because of various adhesions and cysts. What are her chances of having a successful pregnancy in the future? And, what are the difficuties women with one ovary and fallopian tube face? Will she be required to take hormones?

No she will not need hormones because she will have one ovary left.

WHY not start her on birth control instead of remove the tube? Cysts can shrink in time, but you need some time away from ovulation! HAS her doc mentioned birth control pills to help, at all?

YES, even with one ovary she still can concieve.

I'm not sure of the specific reason why she is having this procedure, but my mother has had the same procedure in the past, perhaps for a different reason.

I beleive it does effect fertility. This meaning that she should, provided there are no other fertility issues, be able to become pregnant. However it may take longer.

They have already tried the birth control and it didn't make a difference. She has already gone through one surgery where they have drained the cysts and tried to unmangle the mass of adhesions and cysts surrounding her fallopian tube. They kept her on the birth control following the surgery but by the time her post-op appointment rolled around - 6 weeks later - the cysts had already returnded and her fallopian tube had re-attached itself to her ovarion wall. She is in constant discomfort and pain. I believe the doctors are doing the right thing. I just worry about her future.

Thanks for your help!

I would think it might take longer but that pregnancy is still possible. From what I've read the ovaries alternate monthly for ovulation, so that may mean that everyother month her remaining ovary would still produce an egg. I don't know if having only one would mean that the remaining ovary would produce an egg everymonth instead.

As for hormones She should be fine. You only need one to keep your hormones running smooth.

Have you talked to the Doctor about your concerns? Your Daughter could talk to a reproductive endrochronologist. They are Specialized gynocologists that specialize in fertility issues. You may want to talk to one before surgery to see if there are any options.

hi nora,i would like to know my mum has been through the same worry over me exept my story is a little different,in april i had an ectopic pregnancy which resulted in removal of my right tube,i was heartbroken after this and i thought id never be able to get pregnant again,neway about 4 and half months later i fell pregnant again and all was normal,im only 22 myself and your daughters still young and our age goes in our favour alot,you only need one tube and one ovary to get pregnant and at least the ovary and tube she will have remaining will be on the same side so thats good,also after my op i started monitoring my period pattern so that i could work out my most fertile time during the month so it might be worth doing this in the future when your daughter wants to try,neway i hope this has helped,if your daughter or yourself wants to talk write back anytime,xx

I've had both of my fallopian tubes remove; Is it possible for me to have and childrens?

Nora wrote:

I was born with one tube and one ovary and have 2 beautiful children, they are now 15 & 18. I would not even worry, if children are meant for the future, it will happen. I have never had to take hormones and everything seems to work fine.

Hi
I had my left ovary and tube removed in 2001 and had a baby boy in 2003. I nolonger have my ovaries, but I have a wonderful little boy.

take care[/list]

%-) i have just had my right tube removed,im realy worried i wont beable to have more children.

I am 39 years old and have a 16 year old daughter and a 19 year old son. I was born with 1 ovary and 1 tube. Your daughter will be just fine. If it is meant to be it will.

If you still have 2 ovarys, the tube can actually swing from left to right. My sister had an ectopic pregnancy and had one tube removed, and this is what her OB/GYN told her. So you dont need to worry.

Hi all
Just would like to mention that my mother was born with only one ovary, it was only discovered at the birth of her first child. She now has myself and my two older brothers (she had my oldest brother at 21)
Also, I have a cousin (30) who had an ectopic pregnancy 10 years ago, she was told that due to complications she may not be able to conceive naturally, she resigned herself to not having children.
Last year she discovered she was pregnant, and after a very catious and calm pregnancy she giave birth to a beautiful boy.

I had ovarian cancer when I was 30 and had one ovary removed. While on chemotherapy, I had another tumor in my only ovary that was benign. They removed most of that only ovary and I went on to have 2 healthy pregnancies starting a year after chemo. My kids are now age 11 and age 14. So with only one part of an ovary, I had 2 kids and as well survived ovarian cancer.

HI IVE HAD MY RIGHT TUBE REMOVED AND I WAS TOLD BY DOCTORS "NOT TO WORRY BECAUSE MY LEFT TUBE WAS PINK AND HEALTHY, IT DOSENT TAKE LONGER TO CONCIEVE PEOPLE JUST ASSUME IT WILL". HOWEVER GIVEN THE CHANCE IT COULD TAKE AS LONG OR AS LITTLE AS THE AVERAGE WOMEN SOMETIMES ITS JUST GOOD TIMING OR BAD. IVE JUST CAME OFF THE PILL AND LIKE YOU IM YET TO FIND OUT!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK.