WTH?

On the sole of my foot, I bruised my arch--it hurts mainly right before my heel. I did this by wearing some Keds sneakers on a tour on Tues.

It didn't hurt to run, only after. (It just twinged every now and then on the run)

Besides icing it is there anything else I should do? (besides throw away those shoes )

Anything to worry about?

Remember RICE (Rest Ice Compression Elevation) it is your friend. After a few days and the swelling has gone away you can soak it in an ice bath, then in a hot water bath, this will help to increase blood flow to the area and should help aid healing.

Hate to be the one to say the dreaded words, but it does sound like "plantar fasciitis". I would think a "bruise" should clear up in a couple days, but if you're still aching, here's my tried and true rememdy for PF.
Wear these all day.
and
wear this all night. Inside of a month, you'll be back on the road. Also, I recommend getting some arch supportive insoles. Here's the two I like the best.. Sof Sole Arch Plus and Dr Scholl Advantage Arch.
I immediately replace all the flimsy "sock liners" in all my shoes with one or the other of these insoles.
A couple other things to help things along with arch aches is to take ibuprophen if the ache does get uncomfortable. Also, roll a golf ball under your arch. This does wonders to "loosen" things up.
Keep us posted on how it goes :)

That sock scares me.

That sock scares me.
Let's just say, there's no "jumping" outta bed with it on. :?

I suffer from PF on my left foot, it is caused by my inflexibility in my calves. A lot of times the Posterior Tibialis is the culprit.
I have been using The Stick lately and I have seen a world of difference, I even use it so "roll" the arches of my feet, it is the most comfortable thing I have used yet and I have seen a big difference since I have started to use it.

I'm gonna disagree with jrjo on this one. It doesn't sound like PF to me because you didn't mention anything about it being painful when you first get out of bed and then becoming less painful once you've walked around on it for a while. Which, happens to be one major symptom of PF.

It does sound like you've either bruised or possibly strained the tendons on the bottom of your foot. Mainly because you mentioned the Keds. Which are notorious for absolutely no arch support. And therefore wearing them for an extended amount of time, as in the tour on Tuesday, would cause the muscles, tendons and ligaments on the sole of your foot to become aggravated and sore.

Go with the rest and ice. Do some longitudinal and cross-friction massage. Don't go buy a bunch of devices until you've had this problem for longer than the two to three days you've had it. If it persists as it is now for longer than two weeks then go to a sports podiatrist and get his/her professional opinion.

Thanks all!

It is those stupid Keds. They are now in the trash.

My feet feel better once they have an arch support--so walking on bare feet on bare wood floors is out of the question.

I've been keeping it iced, and aside from a short run on Weds--rested and I've been wearing shoes with a good arch support. It still is uncomfortable to walk bare footed, but in good shoes I'm fine.

Sounds like it might be PF, but you seem to have found the solution. Keep wearing those shoes with good arch supports and I bet you will be fine.

Good luck.

:umno:
Chunk them Keds please. Buy some serious shoes for them puppies. Please dont go to your neighborhood, Wal-Mart or Payless Shooe store either. I seriously hurt myself wearing goofy shoes. A runners shoe store will have your shoes for about $60 and upper of $80 for better shoes.

I threw the keds away. For running I wear Nike Air Pegasus--which a Fleet Feet owner recommended for my running type. As for walking, I think you're right--I think I'm getting old and I need to think about sinking some good money on some good shoes. *sigh*

I threw the kids away.
See, this sounds a little drastic! :toobad: Hope you figger it out and begin feeling better soon!

...I think I'm getting old... *sigh*
Not just older, but better. Or something like that.

...I think I'm getting old... *sigh*
Not just older, but better. Or something like that. Not older...you are just notorious for no arch support!