I was eating a very hot potato before bed when I attempted to swallow a pretty big piece and it got lodged in my esophagus for a good 5 seconds. It burned, but I didn't think much about it and went to bed. I woke up the next day immensely sore and had trouble swallowing and breathing. Not thinking much of it I just drank alot of tea and water to ease the pain. Now it is on the 5th day, and while the pain seems to subsiding a bit, I still need to rely on Halls/Aspirin/Sleeping Pills to get through the day/sleep. I actually just woke from a 4 hour nap and it still hurt to swallow, and swallowing solid foods is out of the question. I don't want to see the doctor unless need be, but does anyone have any idea what it is? I imagine my throat is severely burnt and swollen and drinking hot tea/chicken noodle soap definitely eases the pain. 

So to sum things up - 

-Ate hot food, lower throat hurts 5 days straight
-Swallowing hurts unless it is something warm. (Hot tea, hot water, chicken noodle)
-No fever
-No cough
-When I press against my throat gently it only hurts at the bottom of my Adams Apple. 

Any advice would be great, thank you. 

Hi, I am having this same problem!did anything come of it?? It woke me up out of my sleep tonight because of the pain from just SWALLOWING. Any help would be GREAT!! I think I will end up at the doctors :-(

Hi Megan, it turned out my throat got bruised pretty badly. It took a solid week and a half for the pain to go away. All i did was drink a lot of hot water/tea.

Did you eat anything at all during that week and a half?

Hi Jowston, I am suffering from something similar. I have swallowed boiled water. This happened 3 weeks back. I have tried some foods, some of which have hurt my throat and made the condition worse. But if I eat rice only, I do not have any problem. Still, the moment I try some new food like even a small fragment of fried potato the throat begins to give a weird irritation and pain. Doctors say this should heal very quickly. Should I completely stop taking food?

Yes Astor. I only ate chicken noodle soup the entire time.

Did it ever go back to being normal?

I did the same last night (super hot milk) and have the exact same problem as you have described.

I did it last night as well. I pulled a potato off the grill. It was kind of hot in my mouth, but I swallowed to big of a chunk and when my throat squashed it to get it down, it seared my throat. I couldn't sleep at all. Hurts worse than strep. 

I did the same yesterday. Swallowed very hot noddles and it was stuck in my esophagus for almost 4-5 secs. which seemed to burn my esophagus. it hurts now. But I am still able to swallow food. I am thinking whether to meet doctor or not. Is it dangerous? 

i was wondering because my husband ate a piece of meat that was hot and he swallowed it and it burn his throat is there any remide

I got worried because i did the same thing just now (Swallowed boiled water) but did not seem to burn anything other then my tongue, which milk sort of makes feel better...

But I was just wondering, after 1-3 weeks of this pain, why no one on here could go to the doctors?

Drink a lot of water with ice cubes in it. Gargle with ice cold water a few times a day. Eat cold yogurt or ice cubes. Honey is a natural healer eat a poon full of honey before bed and during the day, don't drink anything for at least 30 minutes after that, let the honey do its work, and pray for healing god is faithful and our healer. Hope you feel better soon.

DONT DRINK HOT TEA OR SOUP !!!! WOW no no no.... Try some Milk and Honey you are simply agitating the Burn keeping it from healing. Chew your food well!!! stay AWAY from Hot food until your throat can heal if you burn your finger you dont put hot water on it do you? NO so dont do that to your throat

I agree anything that last over a Few Days to a week calls for some extra attention Your Throat is valuable picture life without the ability to talk (if you can Talk that is) and everything would change

I did the same yesterday morning and lost my voice should I be freaking out?