We had a class in school where we were explained the first aid treatment of burns among many other risky situations. Of all the things that were said and shown by example, treatment of burns is what struck me the most as the most helpful in my own home and on BBQ picnic, but I forgot it. What treatment options are there for burns?

Good of you to ask again. Since there are three types of burns, maybe it would be best to explain the procedure for the treatment of the smaller first- and second-degree burns. First, stop the burning process. Remove all clothing, diapers and jewelry. These items can retain heat and cause more damage. Second, cool the burned area. Run cool—not cold—water over the burn area for a several minutes. Do not apply ice to the burn, as it can cause further damage. You should also avoid applying creams, salves and ointments or breaking any blisters that form. Third, cover the burn. Place a clean, dry cloth over the wound to soothe the area. Any other burn should be treated professionally.