I'm 14 and for as long as I remember my hands, toes and ears have been sensitive to temperature change.
When it is cold (not even at levels of frost) my hands go so cold and numb I came barely move them, this happens in a matter of seconds. As soon as I go into a building which is at about room temperature, my hands go red, hot, swollen and sweaty. Sometimes but rarely they itch.
My ears go completely numb and bright red as soon as there's a cold wind, and my toes are numb when there's a drop in temperature (I don't know what colour they turn as I never look)
If it's a frosty winters day and I'm wrapped up warm, wearing a hat which covers my ears, gloves and warm boots/thick socks, my toes, hands and ears are always frozen.
Bad circulation runs in my family, is it just that?
Or is this more serious/ should I get this checked out by a doctor?

thank you for reading

It's a interesting theory that, im 16 and I have the SAME problem but it doesn't seem to run in my family. I am a bit underweight at the moment but always suffered from cold hands and feet. In the last few weeks mine have swollen from the difference of the outside temperature and room size. They also get itchy, poofy and numb. It putts us at a great disadvantage I can soooo.... agree.
I visited my doctor today about my swollen hands as I just thought I was allergic to something. He simply tested it by squeezing my hand and wait to see how long it took for my hand to regain the blood. He gave me a prescriptive cream to put in between my fingers to help encourage circulation and told me to wear gloves (or something to cover up to the knuckles) as often as I can.

Hope that this can reassure you, your not the only one and if you are concerned then visit your doctor that's what he's there for. :-D

Actually i'm having the same problem. The poster above me was different than us, but it seems as though i'm more severe than you. I'm a girl and 18 years old. Sometimes, no matter what the temperature in a room is or outside, i'm perfectly normal, but then shortly, if i'm in a relaxed state, my extremities seem to go through an outrageous temperature change. My hands and feet either get unbearably swollen, red and hot, and throbbing or so cold that any amount of blankets or clothing wont heat them up. It's rather uncomfortable and quite annoying, especially because i have to use the computer often.Someone suggested maybe arthritis or a strange form of carpultunnel (however you spell it). These symptoms are there more often than the normal state, right now, one of my feet is throbbing with heat, while my other foot is freezing, and they switch O_O...both my hands are burning but my thumb is cold.....>_> What in the heck is wrong with me? lol

im a 14 year old girl and i hav the same problem. it was just the other day at school and i had gym, the gym teacher decided to take us outside.as soon as i walked outside my fingers turned as cold as ice.as we were playing a game they kept getting colder and colder and the coldness had worked its way up my arm to a little bit past my elbow. the 90 minutes of gym class had come to an end and it was time to go in, i started to run so i could feel my arms agian. as i was running i tripped on a small rock (that's just me bein' a clutts) and i feel on to a bunch of small rocks my hands were cut in many places but since they were so cold i couldnt feel anything. a few minutes after going inside my hands started to sting and at the same time they were becumin' ichy.

hope it help you some or kept you entertained :-D

I"m a 18 year old male, I've had very similar problems for about 2 years now. I don't know what it is. I think it's just bad circulation, but what would cause this at my age? I 'm not overweight, I exercise daily. I do play piano and guitar, and type a lot, but so do a lot of my friends, and they don't have the same problem.

I'm a 14 year old girl. My friend has been worried about why my hands are always cold. She thinks it might be bad circulation but i'm not sure. They don't swell up but they usually don't get warm unless i try to get them warm. I do type on the computer a lot.

My problem is not as severe as all of yours but my hands and feet do get cold and hot a lot.
When I am inside during the summer my hands and feet are cold since the airconditioner is on as soon as i go outside they "defrost?" after a while. During winter my hands and feet get hot almost bright red sometimes when i'm outside and when i go into a heated area they get worse. Sometimes after a long while they go back to normal. Although normal for me is colder than most people.

My dad has almost the opposite of me it is Erythromelalgia (EM) the cause is unknown but the symptoms may include hands, feet, face, ears, or other body parts that are very red to purple in color, may include oedema or swelling, may be extra warm or hot to the touch, and cause burning pain or deep aching. It can occur at any age.

BTW i'm a girl and 17 years old and idk if it has something to do with it but when my hands are cold my arms and knees are very sensitive to cold air. I'm always wearing a jacket and i live in Florida!

Lets hope we get results one of these days !

you guys might want to read up on Raynaud's disease or something similar!

Raynaud's disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body — such as your fingers, toes, tip of your nose and your ears — to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. In Raynaud's disease, arteries that supply blood to your skin narrow, limiting blood circulation to affected areas.

Women are more likely to have Raynaud's disease. It's also more common in people who live in colder climates.

Treatment of Raynaud's disease depends on its severity and the presence of associated conditions. For most people, Raynaud's disease is more a nuisance than a disability.

I got this information of:

Thought it might help!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I hate my cold hands and not to mention they're clammy to its horrible, im a very social person and I am limited to how much I can interact with people because I dont want to hear Gosh! your hands are freezing. I have gone to the doctor and they did a heart test to make sure the pulse was being felt at the same time in my chest and in my hands and it was. So basically the conclussion was that I just had bad circulation and that there was nothing that I could do about it. Sometimes though they are just warm but its when i start to think alot or get nervous they freeze up again.

Hello, I'm 18 years old and I've been having the cold hands/feet/nose and ears problem for as long as I can remember. One thing that I've also experienced my whole life is erectile dysfunction, and I was wondering if ED has any relation to these symptoms?? I'd love a reply if anyone has any info, it's been seriously frustrating as hell.

It is Raynaud's disease I have had it for years now and just recently it got worse to the point that Its affecting me not only physically but emotionally and in my social life too. The only meds they have out there are Neurontin, which helped my pain and numbness go away and calcium channel blockers. good luck to all of you and I hope you get better.

i am 15, and my friends always freak out about my hands because they go purple/orange whenever i am cold. i am often cold when other people are not, and also my fingernails turn blue. i have a mild eating disorder, could the 2 problems be related?

i have a similar problem, as my hands get cold easily, though it seems to have no relation to the temperature in the room. Outside, they get cold very quickly, but inside they do the same even if it is relatively warm. I swim on the swim team, and that room is about 90 degrees every day, and my hands still get cold in there sometimes. other times, they just turn deep red and purple, especially after a hard set. when my hands are cold, they seem to react slower, so when im trying to teach myself to play guitar, i have to give up entirely sometimes because they are reacting so slowly. Even now typing, i am having trouble spelling words without having to backspace a hundred times because they aren't hitting in the order i feel them hitting. any ideas?

Dude, I know just what you're talking about.
I'm a 16 year old guy, and when i go outside, even in say, 40 degree temperatures, my hands turn blue and get orange dots on them?
They also get freezing cold.

I play guitar all the time, but it only seems to get worse.

I live in Alaska, so that might have something to do with it...

im an 18 year old male, and for the last last few years ive had terrible circulation problems with my hands and feet, it only takes a few minutes of cold air for my hands to go purple with strange orange spots and numbness, ive done alot of research on the internet and have learned about the 3 g's (garlic ginko and ginger) so i am going to start taking the 3g suppliments as of today, and ill let you know the results as soon as possible.
ive always been told i am a "wierdo" by people and it has made me feel so much happier to know there are people out there that suffer the same problems i do and im not alone :-). hopefully ill be back in a month or so with good new :-)