I have suffered from chronic tonsillitis since I was 15 (I am now 26). I have also never been able to breath out of my left nostril due to a deviated septum. Being 1 of 5 kids my parents could never afford the required surgery. After having a baby 18 months ago, my tonisillitis flared back up and I become completely tired all the time and developed mild sleep apnea. I decided to take matters in my own hands and get the required surgery. Day 1 of surgery: went into hospital at 145pm. Completed all the required forms etc. was in theatre by 3pm. Aneasthiologist was a wonderful man and made me feel at ease and walked me through the whole process. I went under anaesthetic and woke up about 2.5 hrs later. I was crying when I woke up an. Asking for my son. For some reason I thought I was in hospital giving birth again and they had taken up. Once I got over that confusion I was concerned about getting chapped lips so I beg for some Vaseline which they gave me and taped to my pillow for easy access. It took me about 45 mins to get to a point where I could keep my eyes open. After this they wheeledme to my own room (I'm a private patient). I was hooked up to a drip to keep my fluids up and also connected to a blood pressure monitor which they checked every half an hr. the nurses gave me a jug of ice water which was amazing. I was so thirsty. At this stage my nose hurts worse than my throat but it is bearable. It just feels like I have a cut it my nose tha stings and a swollen throat. I attempt to eat. Sandwich as I am so so hungry and am told I need to eat as normal as possible. The crumbs get stuck at the back of my throat which is annoying and I feel like I may choke. So I wash it away and have some jelly instead. This is heaven for my throat. I make a real effort to keep sipping in water? This make a massive difference in reducing the swelling. I should mention I also have gauze taped up my nose to catch blood. There is a lot of it but they can not change it for 24 hrs. This is annoying because it feels damp. Something to do with not getting an infection. By now it's been a couple of hrs after surgery and I am getting some pain in my throat so try give me 2 panadol tablets and an Endone tablets. Seems cruel giving me tablets but I swallowed them with no dramas. After about 20 mins I feel much better. The Endone makes me nap. U had my hubby come in a bit later and bring me some custard because I am so hungry. This went down a treat. At about 10pm. I am busting for a wee because I have finished the jug of water and drip. I buzz the nurse and she comes straight and removes the drip and helps me to the loo. To my surprise I feel fine, I'm not dizzy and I do not feel nurseaous. I try to sleep from about 11pm onwards. I am only allowed more panadole and some Tylenol for pain as the Endone is to strong to take every 4 hrs. This doesn't really help but the pain is just like a bad bout of tonsillitis. So far sleeping is the hardest. I have to sleep at and angle sitting up and because I can't breath through my nose I am sleeping with my mouth wide open. I have to wake every 15 mins to have a sip of ice water because my throat keeps drying out and hurting. Apart for this day one has been way better than I expected. Keep you posted.

I am now on day 3 - 4 and am a bit worse for wear. Yesterday was by far the worst day. Despite the pain med initially working wonders my body decided to react to them and I was vomiting for most of yesterday and didn't really eat. I felt terrible, shaky and weak. I've stopped taking the Endone and am now just on 2 paracetamol every 4 hrs. Don't know if it is helping but I can drink and eat ok now. Although I must ice my throat after every meal. My nose on the other hand is becoming more painful. I mlhave to use a salt douche through my nose 3 times a day which is so gross because if feels like you have had water smashed up your nose like if u dive badly una pool and also small bits of blood clots come out of both my nose and mouth and taste foul. The thing I hate most at the moment is my taste and smell is all out of whack. Things don't smell how they should and everything tastes soapy and bland, almost like tears when you cry. So far recovery has been pretty painful but not as bad as I envisaged.