Over the past few weeks, I've felt a pressure type of feeling in the back of my head/base of skull/top of neck area. Also sharp headache pains typically along the left side of my head and temple, rarely on the right side. There's also a couple of spots in my back between my shoulder blades that are sore. If I stretch, I crack in my neck and upper back that kinda feels good (I think that's normal). I also feel foggy in the head but don't have trouble concentrating, and I'm constantly tired/fatigued. Randomly I will get short bouts of lightheadedness. I feel as though if I was to laugh too hard or sing too hard, I could black out.

I'm wondering if anyone could help with what could be the problem? Or what type of specialist I should see?

I'm 24, female, slim weight. Don't drink, quit smoking back in August.

I have/had some other problems as well since last August, in case they have anything to do with it:

-Bronchitis bordering on pneumonia in August. Took 3 weeks to clear up.
-October I started having strong attacks of nausea, but have never vomited. Seem to happen at random times, not after eating. GP put me on Nexium for 4 weeks. During those weeks I actually got all the symptoms of GERD - heartburn, reflux, more nausea, unable to eat fatty foods. Sent to a gastro doc/surgeon as there's no gastroenterologists where I live.
- Have had blood tests for vitamin deficiencies, diabetes, celiac's, etc etc, all negative. Blood pressure is always fine. Gastroscopy was negative for everything. Ultrasound showed polyps in my gallbladder, HIDA scan showed low ejection fraction.
- Gallbladder was removed in March. Still having some stomach troubles/nausea, waiting for things to settle down. Hoping they will, anyway.
- Randomly feel like I have a heart palpitation even if I am resting, ECG was clear. Heart is fine. A few times I've felt like it was beating too fast, ECG showed nothing, surprise. Doc said could be stress, can do a holter monitor if I like.
- Still feel like I burp up acid/have heartburn and nausea.

I have been to a doctor for my neck/head, he said he thinks it's tension headaches, and to get an MRI done for peace of mind if they don't stop. I don't have the money to get it done yet.

I have had an eye test, all is fine. I have been trying to relax to see if it helps, it hasn't.

I am also seeing an osteopath later this week to see what they think.
Hope I didn't forget anything.

Anyone have any words of advice for me?

It sounds like you're on the right track. Do try to save for that MRI scan; it may well be the answer to your problems. The dizziness could be caused by stress in the shoulder and neck area. Try some yoga classes to release the tension and spasms. Just be sure tell tell the instructor of the problems in your neck. Else, speak to a physiotherapist for some corrective exercises.

Note that this is merely a suggestion; something to think about.

Vanessa35 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I am saving for the MRI. I was hoping the osteopath I'm seeing tomorrow would help with exercises etc, I may look in to yoga as well.

Let me know what the osteopath recommends and if exercises will assist?

Take care

The osteopath moved my head and neck etc around for ages. Said there's a lot of tension in my upper neck, where everything meets the base of my skull. They told me to make some changes at work, do some things to relax and every night when I get home to roll a towel up and lay with it vertically under my back.

I feel a touch better so far, but I've only come back to work today. I have another appointment on Monday next week to see if it has helped.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that I also get pains in random places in my chest (and stomach), and sometimes my throat feels very dry, like I've smoked a pack of cigarettes the night before. Not sure if any of that helps/relates.

The osteopath seems to think my headaches and brainfog are caused by how I sit at work, and fixing my posture and seeing her again in a month will help. Yet I'm still getting these headaches and pain at the base of my skull.

Any more ideas?

I have all the same symptoms you do! Dry mouth throat that makes me thirst. Headache that starts at the base of my neck and wraps around the side of my head and squeezes and horrible heart burn to where's my insides feel swollen and gassy. Sometimes it getsrealy really painful, where the headaches are more just really really annoying and constant. I've also felt that it can't sleep less the 9 hours and feel rested, if I do sleep less I have to take an afternoon nap even though when I nap (and sometimes when I sleep) I will wake up with horrible heart palipitations. I do know I have anxiety and am under lots of stress now (even though I don't feel mentally stressed, oddly enough) and that anxiety can cause a lot of these symptoms but I really wish I knew what to do because the symptoms just cause me more anxiety! Stupid vicious cycle. I also always get neck aches when I start back to school arter a break like I just recently did, I think your doctor is right about the neck positioning making it worse. And as for the heartburn, I've always had a sensitive stomach and I think the headache is exacerbating it and causing me nausea because of the mild dizziness the headache causes... SEE THE VICIOUS CYCLE, Ahh! Well if you get any help or relief please let me know and I will do the same! Best wishes and I will hope for a spontaneous recovery for both of us :)

Thanks for telling me about your symptoms, I appreciate it!
I have come to think that work is causing me to hold my neck muscles tense, and therefore causing me neck tension and muscle pain. I couldn't understand why it has only come up in the last few months, but some underlying stress could do it, with all this gallbladder stuff.

I have been back to my GP, he is sending me for cardiac event monitoring next week, and more specific blood tests for vitamins, thyroid, hormone etc. I've also been getting some sharp pains all over my chest, but he has no idea about that, he said probably an infection or inflammation.
I just don't believe the "stress" conclusion. I'm not a stressful person!

Will let you know what he finds out.

Blood tests diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Started on medication.