For the last 2 years off and on I've had a strange pressure type feeling in my neck on the right side. No sore throat, no lumps, and not really a pain but more of a pressure. From my shoulder up to my ear. Sometimes I feel this pressure in my ear, and behind my eye too, not always though. The tightness radiates part way down my back too. If I bend my head forward, I can feel it pulling part way down my back. I went to the doctor about a year ago regarding it, and he thought it may just be some tight muscles. He looked down my throat, and felt around and thought it was nothing to worry about. I have a knot in the back of my neck that's hard to massage out too. I also have my desk set up at work with my monitor to my right and for the last 9 years, I've had my head turned to the right to view it. I notice that when I wake up in the morning there is generally no pressure, but as the day goes on it becomes increasingly more prevalent. It's also not there 100% of the time either. I may go an hour or more without any pressure and then I may feel it for 2 hours. No rhyme or reason to it. I've noticed that in the summer it's much less noticeabl I know that sounds silly but it's true. Obviously cancer comes to mind for one thing and I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms....

zh %-)

i feel the same way. always after work, i will feel the pressure building up behind the neck up to ur head and behind ur ear. my ear will then turn red when that happen and i won't be able to bend down as the pressure in ur head is unbearable. did you find out what heppen>>??
please reply me back *****

**this post is edited by moderator ** private e-mails not allowed **

Im currently experiencing the same type of pressure. It starts on the lower lfet side of my neck, and goes behind my ear, into my left temple. it just starts off as pressure, but almost always leads into a bad headache. I work out regularly. i do a lot weight training, and this started happening about 6 months ago. when I do anything physically demanding, like working out, the pressure can build to unbearable pain, to the point where i feel like i might pass out. i get very light headed then, and this scares me to my core. i live a very healthy lifestyle, and i've never had problems with my blood pressure. I went to see my doc, and he didnt have the slightest clue as to what it might be, and just gave me some asprin, and told me to take it easy for a few weeks. i did, and eventually, the pressure went away on its own. but a few days ago, it came back, and its worse than ever. i didnt feel easy not having an explination for this.
I finally went to my mother with this problem (she has been a nurse for most of her life). She immediately knew my problem. she said i had gotten a bad head cold, in which my nerve in that area had suffered from. She said I could've caused it by leaving the house with wet hair, which i do often, and it was probably chilly out. cross wind, from having my car windows down, and similar situations. Basically, my nerve in that area had gotten a cold. She said it will take time to heal, but you have to pay extra attention to it so as not to worsen your symptoms. She said dont leave your house with wet hair, especially if its less than warm outside. Also, if i had rubbing alcochal, I should rub some on that area. She said itll heat the muscles there and relax the nerve, and help blood flow around it, which in turn should help it heal. basically, baby your neck/head area. protect it from the elements, heat that area, rub some rubbing alcochal on it, and you can also try asprin to help with the pain, but it might slightly increase the pressure, so try it, but if it doesnt help, stop. well, i just got off the phone with her about this, and im off to buy some rubbing alcochal. hopefully it will help. i hope maybe itll help you guys as well. :-)

the pressure in my neck never changes.....and it's certainly not unbearable, just nagging.....I don't ever get headaches (thankfully maybe 1 a year if that)
but this is just strange...any headache that I get associated with this only lasts a very short time and is not very intense....as I have been typing, the pressure came and went twice in the last 2 minutes....strange.

omg.this is exactly what i am struggling these days.its exactly as u described.been to gp togay no symptoms.nothing.im very worried.someone told me it might be high blood cholostrol!donno but what u described is exactly what i have got in the last 1 or two months.i feel its serious.i feel my head is to blow.i can't breathe.i yaun alot now.i feel im under water sometimes.too much pressure

i feel im getting suffocated by a pressure in my throat and back of my head but no infection nothing

please help me if u find out anything?

Zipperhead, I can't believe that I've found a post that sounds so familiar. I too have a feeling in my neck that is on my left side more than the right. I've had it now for about 1 and 1/2 years and it comes and goes. I have also been to the doctors and trips to the hospital when the feeling was great enough that I thought it best to have things checked out right away. I've been through many tests. many EKG's, much blood work, echocardiogram, barium swallow, ultra sound on my gall bladder and they still haven't come up with anything. All tests came back good. No sore throat, no lumps that the doctor can find, no pain, the pressure to me is like someone has their hand on my throat. I have no head aches. I have had some feeling on the left side of my face. I asked the doctor about stress and hormones. I was off work for 3 weeks last winter because of it. I had no appetite that time. Does eating certain things bring this on for you. I find it sometimes does for me. I'm sitting here and an hour ago I was fine, I had something to eat and I have this feeling now. There still doing blood work, in fact I have a paper here to get some tests done before the end of the year. I know your message is dated way back but I'm hoping you still come in and check.

I Have had the same problems now for about a year.. i have been to the hospital when it first started to happen and they told me they couldnt find anything out of the ordinary and told me to lay off the caffeen.. as i drink alot of coke. The tightness feeling usually comes out of the blue for about a week sometimes more then goes away,... its mostly ok in the morning and worsens through out the day. Stress makes it alot worse which it is hard not to stress when this happens coz it scares me, but if i try relax and watch a comedy or something to take my mind off it it helps a bit. I also have headaches alot and a dizziness sensation sometimes when worrying. I cant feel a lump but it feels like one is there. I have now been off the caffeen completly for about 2-3 weeks.. and the tightness has just came back yesterday. Cafeen intake and withdrawals may have something to do with it? Anyone found anything else out on it please post..
Very Uncumfortable!!!! i have also in the past had problems with my thyroids. if this is a factor i am not sure. i am yet to go get a blood test to see if my thyroid levels are ok.

I started having a numb feeling in my neck on January 4, 2008. I finally went to the doctor on January 17 & found out I had a chronic ear infection in my right ear. She prescribed amoxicillin (and another drug that made me dizzy, so I quit taking it). It's now February 2 & I'll run out of amoxicillin tomorrow. I went back to the doctor last week & she said it's still infected, but a lot better. Last week, I noticed some pressure on the right side of my neck up into my ear. I then had what I think was a muscle spasm in my neck that looked like my carotid artery was pulsating. This evening, I've had the neck tightness return on the right side & had one neck pulsation, very brief but also disconcerting. I've also had a slight sense of vertigo most of the evening. I think it's from the ear infection. Could the neck tightness be stress? What about the thing that I think is a spasm, but looks more like a pulsing artery (though I don't notice my heart racing or increased pulse)? I've been worrying about this too much, plus my wife was gone all week & I've had to get the 3 kids around this week (2, 4, & 11 w/special needs) plus do my job. Any advice?

I also have been having this throat pressure. I have been in and out of urgent care and to doctor after doctor and there has been no answers. The ENT doctor said it was my saliva glands swelling due to lack of moisture and to drink lots of water and this wont happen anymore. I have been drinking about 10 - 15 cups of water a day and still feel these symptoms. My symptoms also are near to none in the morning and can excelerate throughout the day to become very uncomfortable at night (so much that I cant sleep) Usually after I wake up the next day, I'm fine with just the feeling of slight bruising if I press on my throat. My pressure is in my entire throat but the bruising feeling is usually on the left. The doctors have even given me anxiety pills thinking that this was anxiety (it does not work). Any answers would be greatly appreciated. This is effecting my life, I also have been off of work for three weeks and can sometimes barely stand to be at work. I don't want to lose my job.

I have been lately experiencing throat pressure. It's hard to describe but just a tightness of the throat as if somone has a light hand on your throat - not painful just uncomfortable. I must point out though that I was recently diagnosed with high levels of thryroid went on medication to bring this down, it ended up going too low so my doctor took me off the medication. I started feeling the throat pressure whilst off the medication so I did another set of blood tests to check the current thyroid levels. I'm now awaiting this test.
Somehow I believe the throat tightness is related to increasing or high thyroid levels. Persons with this problem may wish to have some blood work done to check their thyroid levels.

Did you guys ever find what the solution was to this?

b/c my throat feels so swollen and constricted when i get finished working out..

its dry and tight.. feel like i'm going to choke....

I have been having this throat pressure for the past 2 weeks. Had my thyroid levels checked and they are okay. Doctor says its air aphasia from hyperventilating, so I have been watching how I breath and I am NOT hyperventilating. I too wake up in the morning okay and as the day progresses the pressure gets worse. It feels like someone is pressing on my trachea just below the adam's apple. If I take deep cleansing breaths I can get it to go away, but then it comes right back. I have now on antidepressants and antianxiety medications. What in the world could this be? I am wondering now if I have an ulcer. I took alot of antiinflammatories and was a smoker, recently quitting, have been under alot of stress also.
If anyone gets a diagnosis, we would all like to hear about it.

I can relate with many of you and your symptoms. I have had the throat tightning or pressure for about 1 1/2 years. I also have very little energy, losing hair more then normal, irregular mentrual cycles, and some depression symptoms as well. I would check with your Dr. and have a thyroid test done. Thyroid disease runs in my family, so that's where I started. The first Dr. I went to just wanted to put me on Prozac and Xanax. I know my body and I knew there was something else going on. After putting up with this discomfort for so long, I probably am depressed by now!! Who wouldn't be? Definately have your thyroid checked because if left untreated for too long, can cause very serious problems. Hope this helps!! Good luck to all!

hi
does anyone know whats happening,
ive had this thing for nearly 3 years
throat getting tight (generaly around my adams apple)
sometimes feels like im going to choke,
clicking noise in my head
and i sometimes feel lightheaded like my brain is trying to switch off, it will kinda scare me
its getting worse now
everytime i go to the docs he looks at me as if im stupid
they think im lying,
been to hospital had ultra sound blood tests
and they find nothing
im 22/ male/ from the uk
i carnt live like this no more, i have no life

I had this same feeling for around six months- along with a general unwellness. After having a million tests done i have just founf out that i have hashimoto's thyroide disease which causes a tight, pressure in the neck/ throat. This is worth getting checked for if you have the same symptoms.